Chapter 2

I just want to let you guys know that I'm not planning for this to be a really long story, but we'll see how it goes : )

•••••

Before I knew it, I was staying by myself.

To be honest, nothing really changed except for the fact that I left my room more often.

I was still definitely a night owl and I'll admit that sometimes when it was very late at night, I'd start feeling a little anxious, but I had always had anxiety so I'd just brush it off. Most of the time it was just creaking noises so I'd just blame it on the cats.

In the first couple of days I had developed a routine.

I'd wake up and stay in bed for a few hours. Then I would eat some form of breakfast, usually cereal or toaster waffles. I'd eat at the dining table while watching anime and then I'd either work on some art or go back to my room.  Sometimes I'd pull out my laptop and play some games and other times I'd just scroll through social media. Eventually, I'd go back to the kitchen for dinner, which usually consisted of ramen noodles, and then I'd sit in the living room and watch TV. My aunt didn't get many channels, so that usually meant I was stuck watching the news. Then, I'd basically waste the rest of the night doing random things.

I continued to follow this routine for a good week, that is, until the stories on the news became more and more concerning.

My aunts house was close to a very big city and that meant that crime was pretty normal. It wasn't surprising to see a few murders or robberies here and there. People went missing all the time and there was always something going on every day.

So, when the newswoman said that the police suspected there was a killer on the loose, I didn't think much of it. I simply just made sure the doors were locked at night.

After a few days, the newswoman claimed that the police had caught the serial killer. It had been some dude in his thirties who'd lost his job and decided to take it out on others.

Police had found him because all of his victims were people who had worked with him and he ended up calling his boss, demanding that he gave him his job back or "he'd be next".

I scoffed.

"If you're going to murder people, don't freaking murder anyone you have a connection to and for fucks sake, don't make it obvious it was you!" I shouted at the TV.

I guess I should've been glad that the killer was stupid, most killers made some stupid mistake that led to their arrest, but it really just annoyed me that they were so stupid.

Anyway, after I heard that the killer had been caught, I figured that was the end of it. Usually after a killer was caught, murders would stop for a while and crime would even go down a bit.

However, after a few more days, the newswoman came back with an unsettling story.

I sat on the couch, engulfed in darkness. It was dark out and I was too lazy to turn on any lights. One of the cats sat on the arm of the couch to my right and the other cats were nowhere to be seen.

I watched the news calmly, listening to some story about a kid who donated his hair to a friend with cancer, until it suddenly cut to the newsroom.

The familiar newswoman stood in front of a screen, holding the mic a bit shakily. She looked a little shaken up, but she didn't look completely distressed. It was more like someone had just jump-scared her right before she came on the TV.

"This just in: another body has been found. Marcy Adams, 24, claims she was jogging on her usual trail around 9 a.m. Monday morning, when she noticed a wallet lying on the trail. Marcy then proceeded to look around to see if the owner was nearby when she stumbled upon the body of Paul Reedman, 31, laying in nearby bushes,"

I was about to turn off the TV, not wanting to hear about yet another murder, but then the newswoman caught my attention.

"Even more unsettling is that Marcy told police it looked as if animals had eaten away at his stomach area, claiming it 'looked as if they had almost completely eaten him in half' and if that wasn't unsettling enough, the professional who performed Paul's autopsy discovered that all of his organs were intact, except for his kidneys, which were completely missing. Lucille Harvey, a local wildlife expert, explains that no animal would have only eaten the man's kidneys. Most of his organs would have been chewed away at and she gruesomely explains that his insides would have looked shredded; they wouldn't have all been intact had it been an animal,"

I widened my eyes at this.

"Okay so maybe this murderer has some pizazz, good for him, or her, I don't discriminate," I mumbled.

"The autopsy report also included that Paul had several small incisions all over his body, but more specifically, in all his vital organs. It was likely that the victim could have died from blood loss, however, a severe head injury was also labeled a possible cause of death. Police are still looking for more information in order to identify the killer. If you have any information that might be valuable, please call the number on your screen,"

I sighed.

"I'm not sure if I want to applaud this guy for not leaving any evidence, or ridicule him for leaving the body where someone could easily find it," I said.

I got off of the couch and checked that the doors were locked before picking up my trash and throwing it away. I briefly glanced at the building tower of dishes in the sink, but shook my head and walked away.

I'll deal with it tomorrow.

Then I made sure the cats had food and I retired to my room for the night.

Before falling asleep, my thoughts wandered to possible explanations for the death on the news.

Crazy ex wife?
Drug deal gone bad?
Or maybe some crazy animal attacked him?

I fell asleep thinking of several theories, but not quite feeling satisfied with any of them.

•••••
1051 words

Thoughts? Comments?

What do you guys want to see in this story?

Unedited