Chapter 24

EJs POV:

I didnt realize how much I had missed her until I saw her face.

"Your knight in shining armor has arrived," I announced, puffing my chest out and waving a pretend sword in the air.

She giggled and I about fell to my knees right then and there.

Holy shit. Who even am I?

I'm supposed to be a cold blooded killer. A monster.

I mean really, I'm not human.

But (y/n).. she.. she made me feel human.

"I'm starting to think I shouldn't have told you I was nervous to be alone tonight," she smiled, putting a hand on her hip. "I was joking, you know? I'm a big girl, I can take care of myself," she continued. "Still, I'm glad you're here, EJ. I really missed you," she added, smiling softly.

"I dont doubt you can take care of yourself, in fact, I know you can, but it's nice to let someone else take care of you every so often, isnt it?" I replied. "And I missed you too but I think we've been standing outside too long now, when are you going to let me in so I can protect you?" I questioned, hoping she'd smile at me more.

"Ahhh we have so much catching up to do. Get in here already you dork," she answered, grabbing my hand and pulling me inside.

Yep. I was screwed.

We sat on the couch together as she caught me up on everything she knew and then I informed her on anything I had found.

I was recapping what I saw with the police chief and the cultists when I noticed she was beginning to yawn a lot.

"Are you tired? You've had a long day havent you? Maybe you should get some rest and we can continue this tomorrow," I suggested.

As much as I didnt want to leave, I knew she needed to rest. Although, her yawns were so cute I almost wanted to stay so I could see her at her fully sleepy self.

"Hmmm.. I don't want to go to bed yet. I'm having so much fun talking to you. And I also want to stay up until midnight tonight anyway," she responded, stretching her arms and attempting to rub the tiredness from her eyes.

"Why do you want to stay up until midnight?" I asked, tilting my head and waiting for her response.

Suddenly she seemed very shy, lowering her head and wringing her hands together.

"Well um.. so.. well.. ahhhh I'll just say itttt. I have this irrational fear that I'll die in my sleep the night before my birthday so every year I stay up until midnight so I can say I made it. And tomorrow is my birthday so.. you know, I want to stay up.." she trailed off, looking anywhere but at me.

Tomorrow was her birthday???

"Cute," I mumbled, not meaning to say it out loud.

"Huh?" She replied, looking up at me.

This girl was going to be the death of me.

She was going to get me into so much trouble too.

Falling in love with a human is not really a part of the deal when you join forces with Slenderman.

Fuck it.

"Okay, we can stay up, but don't worry, if you fall asleep I'll make sure nothing happens to you. You're always safe when I'm around, I promise."

"And what about when you're not around?" she asked, leaning closer.

"Just say the word and I'll be there," I answered.

She smiled but then an emotion I couldn't quite figure out crossed her face and her smile disappeared.

"Thank you, EJ. I'm so lucky to have you as a friend," she replied.

Before I could even process her words, suddenly her arms were wrapped around me and I was being hugged.

Oh.

There was no way I could ever just be friends with this girl after the way she just hugged me.

If I couldn't have her then I'd march up to Slenderman
and have him kill me himself. Death would be more pleasurable than being without her.

I slowly wrapped my arms around her and hugged her close, trying to memorize the feeling in case I never got to experience it again.

She snuggled into my chest and sighed softly.

I kind of doubted that friends stayed this close for this long but I was not going to say anything and ruin it.

Instead, I carefully grabbed my phone and checked the time.

11:43pm.

"This is going to sound embarrassing but the clothes I'm wearing are actually really uncomfortable but I don't want to get up and change because I really enjoy hugging you like this and for some reason I don't want it to end aha.. I think it's been a little too long since Ive gotten a hug from someone.." she trailed off, moving her face to look at me.

"Go change, it's okay. I promise I will hug you anytime you want. Its been a while for me too.. this is nice. And um, it's much easier for me to protect you this way, you know?" I replied, smiling at her and gently moving her so she would go change.

She whined softly and I was so close to just pulling her back against me and telling her to either deal with the clothes she was wearing or take them off because I wouldn't be letting go of her until my arms fell off and the ground caved in beneath me.

I didn't say that of course though.

After a second, she got up and went to go change.

I practically screamed.

If one of the others saw me right now, I wouldn't hear the end of it for months. Maybe even years.

This was all so out of character for me.

I heard the sound of her footsteps and turned my head in her direction.

I was going to go insane.

(Y/n) was now wearing a baggy tshirt and some loose fitting shorts. She did indeed look much comfier than before and Im not sure this was a view I could ever get used to.

If I was a normal being, I would probably be blushing.

Good thing I wasn't.

I coughed awkwardly and waited for her to say something.

She didnt.

Instead, she shuffled over to me and stood next to me anxiously.

"You do look a lot more comfortable now," I commented, trying to break the silence.

What was going through her head?

"Can I.. ask you something kind of.. weird?" She responded, avoiding eye contact with me.

I gulped.

"What is it?" I questioned, sitting up straighter and focusing all my attention on her.

"Can we.. can I.. um.. could we.. go back to how we were before? I mean on the couch.. before I went to change? Um.. cuddling?" she asked. Her face was bright red. "I um.. I want to fall asleep with you.. I just uh.. I don't know.. I felt.. safe? when you were holding me.. and I mean its my birthday tomorrow so.. well I mean you did also say you'd protect me aha.." she rambled, holding her arms across her chest.

I took a deep breath and pulled her on top of me, cutting her off and making her face turn even redder than it was before.

I had to be dreaming because there was no way any of this was real.

•••••
1245 words
Thoughts? Comments? How are you guys feeling? :3
Unedited