Chapter 5

After what seemed like only a few minutes of driving, I made it to the hospital and quickly pulled into a parking spot. Then I raced into the lobby. It was packed.

There were so many people in the lobby, all sharing the same worried faces. Some were even crying.

I hurriedly ran to the front desk and waited impatiently in line before it was finally my turn. I quickly pulled out my ID and shoved it in the receptionist's face.

"I'm here for (Aunts/Name), is she here? Is she okay?" I asked.

The receptionist typed at her computer before she sighed and looked back up at me.

"Please take a seat, someone will be out to talk with you soon. Next!" She replied.

I was quickly pushed aside as the next person in line walked up.

I reluctantly found a place to sit.

What did this mean? Someone would be out to talk to me? Did that mean my aunt was here? Why else would someone have to talk to me?

I looked around the room, trying to stop myself from overthinking, but I found it hard. That was when someone tapped my shoulder. It was the person sitting next to me.

"Are you here because of the apartment fiasco too?" A middle aged man asked me. He seemed like the friendly type, the type that would invite you to their barbecue after only meeting you one time. He seemed like the type that would talk your ear off, but also like the type that cared a lot about others.

"Yeah... I am. Are you?" I asked.

"Unfortunately yes. My daughter was uhhh... well she was actually one of the victims," he admitted.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry to hear that! Is... is she okay?" I asked hesitantly.

"I'm not sure yet. They told me she's in critical condition so I can't go back and see her," he explained.

"Oh... maybe that's why they didn't tell me anything... maybe my aunts in critical condition too...." I spoke softly, but the man heard.

"Ah... that could be the case. I've been here for a while now and I've kind of noticed a pattern. The families of those with only minor or mild injuries are usually taken back to the room where their loved one is after a short wait. The families of those in critical condition are pulled aside and essentially broken the news to," He explained.

"Oh... um... what about the families of- uh.. you know..." I trailed off.

"I don't know what happens to the families of the ones who were lost..." he answered sadly.

Suddenly, my phone started ringing.

I answered quickly.

"Hello?"

"(Y/N)? Thank goodness you picked up! Have you heard anything from your aunt?" The voice of my uncle asked.

"No... I tried calling her several times but she never picked up. Then I called the police department and they directed me to the hospital. I'm at the hospital now waiting on any news," I replied.

"Oh my god, okay. Okay, (Y/N), listen. You stay there and you let me know as soon as you have any information. I'm trying to get there as fast as I can but they've started blocking off a lot of the roads and there's so much traffic, I'm basically stopped right now. Please, call me as soon as you know anything. I'll be there as soon as I can! Ope- I have to go now, we're moving again. Bye-" he hung up.

I sighed and set my phone on my lap.

It looked like I'd be in this by myself for a while.

A few minutes passed and finally, my name was called. I shot up out of my seat as soon as I heard it and raced towards the person who called my name. It looked like a doctor.

"Are you (Y/N)?" She asked.

"Yes, yes I am! Is my aunt okay?" I asked hurriedly. I needed to know if she was okay.

"(Y/N)... please follow me and we'll go talk in one of the rooms," she replied.

One of the rooms? Was she taking me to my aunt? If that's the case then that meant she only had small injuries right? Right?

I followed the woman down the halls for a bit before she gestured me to enter a small room.

"Miss (Y/N)... May I ask what you relation to (Aunts/Name) is?" She questioned.

"I already told you, she's my aunt!" I exclaimed, just wanting her to cut to the chase and tell me if she was okay or not.

"Alright and was your aunt your legal guardian?" She asked.

"No,no. I'm just staying with her and my uncle until summer is over," I answered.

"Oh, so you have an uncle here, then? Alright. Is he here?" She asked.

At this point I was getting a little annoyed.

"No, he's not. He said he's stuck in traffic but he's on his way. He asked me to find out if my aunt was okay and let him know," I replied, a hint of agitation in my voice.

The woman sighed.

"Alright, (Y/N), could you please take a seat?" She asked.

"Can you just tell me if my aunt is okay or not?! Please stop beating around the bush and just tell me!" I exclaimed, refusing to sit down.

"(Y/N)... I'm sorry... but your aunt didn't make it. She was one of ones that came in already gone... I'm so sorry for your loss," she told me.

And at that moment, my heart shattered into a million pieces.

"What? No. No. This can't be! You're lying? Where is she? I want to see her. Please- please just let- let me see h-her...." I begged, tears starting to fall from my eyes.

"(Y/N), I'm sorry, but we cannot let you see her at this time. You'll have to wait until your uncle arrives. You may wait here until then," she said, patting me on the shoulder and walking out of the room.

I fell to the floor, unable to hold myself up anymore.

And I just let it all out.

How could this happen?

•••••
1037 words

Thoughts? Comments?

Unedited