Chapter 31

(y/n)'s POV:

Today was the day.

Jack and I had monitored the cult and determined that they would be meeting today.

I shivered with anticipation.

Or maybe it was anxiousness?

I had a lot on the line for this and I couldnt afford to lose.

In fact, there was no losing.

No room for errors.

Failure meant death.

And death serves no purpose to me.

I took a deep breath outside the building, staring up at the many floors and glass windows.

The plan was simple: I would sneak inside, take the stairs to the sixth floor, and then from the doorway, I'd aim for as many of them as I could, and then take the others on up close.

I shouldve known it's never that easy though.

I gripped the doorknob tightly, steadying my breath as I pictured the people on the other side of the door.

"This is it," I whispered, grasping the kunai in my hand.

"It's now or never."

I pushed the door open and immediately aimed for anyone in front of me. I managed to hit two of them right away, and I smiled as their bodies hit the floor, blood pouring out from their necks.

The other guys were not in the ideal locations though.

I raced into the room and wasted no time in aiming for another one, missing his neck as he ducked to cover, but managing to hit him in the arm where there just so happened to be a large artery.

He'd bleed out in no time.

That left one more.

He attempted to tackle me from my side, but I sprung away just in time to avoid being stabbed by the knife in his hand.

The man leapt up from the ground and stormed at me, swinging his knife and yelling at the others for help.

I dodged his swings over and over, narrowly managing the escape the final one, which sliced my cheek, just before I plunged my kunai into his throat.

He sputtered and spasmed before falling to the ground.

Dead.

Before I celebrated my victory, I scanned the room for other threats and returned to the bodies of the ones I had already taken down, stabbing each of them a few times for good measure, ensuring they wouldnt get up and attempt to use their final moments to take me down.

But something was wrong.

Rather, something didnt feel right.

I counted the bodies and realized there were only four.

Four bodies and the chief's wasnt one of them.

I counted again just to be sure, but just before I could turn around to leave the room and search for the missing members, a deafening BANG resounded throughout the space, and I felt my body fall forward.

My left side began to burn as if on fire, and pain shot up all my nerves, causing me to clench my teeth and grasp the source of pain.

Id been shot.

I turned to look at my attacker and was met with the face of the chief.

Of course.

He grinned at me and waved, pointing his gun at me and stepping forward.

Behind him, two others followed into the room.

Fuck. Me.

I winced as the pain in my side grew and I began to feel dizzy from the blood rushing out of me.

"Oh you poor thing. Thought you could ruin my little project? Those men you killed were expendable, (y/n). I can have four more men here in no time to replace them," at this he turned and whispered to one of the men behind him, who scurried out of the room, "I must applaud you though, you're more capable than you look. It's really a shame, (y/n). If you had just listened to me, you might have lived to see another day. Have you missed your beloved detective? Oh how I adored taking her life from her~"

"You bastard!!!" I yelled, lurching forward but quickly falling back as more pain shot through me.

Tears began to well in my eyes.

"Too bad you wont be joining her in the afterlife. I have other plans for you," he smirked.

At this, three more men entered the room and stood by his side.

"Put her in the middle of it," he ordered.

The men nodded and stepped towards me.

My eyes widened as I began to piece together their plans for me.

There was a pentagram in the center of the room, surrounded by candles, bones, and ashes.

The men grabbed me and I screamed out, thrashing my body relentlessly, trying to ignore the burning in my side.

They carried me to the pentagram as the chief smiled in excitement.

I felt bile rise up my throat and I twisted to the side, allowing it to spit out onto the ground, splattering across the red lines of the demonic symbol.

The chief picked up one of my kunai from the ground and strided towards me, stabbing me in my right leg and then ordering his men to tie me up.

Tears streamed down my cheeks as I tried to remain conscious.

All I could feel was pain.

Excruciating, piercing, pain.

The men bound my wrists and ankles and left the center of the circle, taking their places at each point of the star.

The chief took the commanding position and laughed maniacally to himself, pulling out a worn leather book from his pocket and opening it.

"You should be grateful, (y/n). At least now your meaningless life actually has a purpose," he sneered.

"Fuck. You," I grit out, venom dripping from my tongue.

The men lit the candles surrounding me, and as the chief lit his own candle, he locked eyes with me, grinned, and threw the match at my face.

I recoiled in a mixture of shock and pain.

The flames licked at my face and hair, then began to spread across my body, using my clothes and the rope around me as fuel.

I thrashed hopelessly, screaming in agony, but I was already almost fully spent.

The gunshot, plus the knife wound, had already taken a lot out of me. I was in a puddle of my own blood and all I could do was pray it would all end soon.

My vision began to fade away as the men chanted around me, using my burning body as a sacrifice to some greater being.

In seconds, I succumbed to the darkness, welcomed it even, yearning for the pain to go away, and hoping there was something- anything- waiting for me in the beyond.

•••••
1104 words
Unedited
Thoughts? Comments?
:p