Chapter 21 - Part 3

The sun shined brightly at its peak, raining down a wave of heat through the clear sky on the group of young Wielders waiting for guidance. They all whispered among each other, wondering what's happening. They were supposed to have another boring lecture from Master Parvell today, one after another, but Master Rwoy stopped as soon as the old man called for a short break. He was just as taken aback by this just like the rest of the students.

Haiden and his friends knew what this meant. And they waited patiently near the main entrance of the palace until Master Rwoy appeared from over the corner with Master Omnelia, and Parvell. Mater Omnelia was upset, and gave short quick answers while Parvell had a concerned look.

"I need to grab everyone's attention, please." Master Rwoy shouted, enhancing his voice through Wielding. Every word sent static over Haiden. "Headmistress Helena has decided to perform the pairing today."

Haiden's classmates gasped then burst into loud chatter amongst themselves. Some complained while others were excited. Haide glanced over to Bras, he was unphased.

Do you think he knew? He asked Screech.

Yes, looks like it. The creature forever present in his mind replied. It giggled. Nervous?

N-no, of course not. He lied.

"Settle down, now. I know this is out of the blue, but settle down." Master Rwoy raised his hands. "There's nothing to fear or be anxious. Omnelia, would you please." He turned to the woman whose hands were around her chest.

Hesitantly she pulled a stack of small papers from her cloak. "Listen carefully," she began. "You will write your name in the upper dotted like, then if you have any preferences on who your Ashen warrior, the one who will be protecting you at the cost of their lives until you reach mastership, you will write their name on the bottom dotted like. Is that clear?" She glanced around the group. Everyone nodded slowly. "Very well, then." From her hand, the small pieces of paper flew towards each and every one of the young Wielders in front of her, landing gently in their palms.

The Wielders began scouring their bags for a pen before writing their name. Haiden looked around, they all hurriedly scribbled their name and sent the paper back. He quickly signed his name on the top of the paper, and Tasgal's at the bottom, giving a quick prayer of hope. Screech gave another giggle in his mind.

Once everyone had returned the signed notes to Master Omnelia, Rwoy ushered them in the white palace. "We're going to the Great Hall." he said and walked in lead.

The young Wielders followed Master Rwoy through the winding halls of the palace until a large room opened up. They were met with high ceilings, tall stained glass windows, and exquisite chandeliers. In the vast room, on the other side were the Ashen with Istrek in charge already waiting.

Haiden quickly spotted Tasgal and gave him a shy wave, before shifting his attention to the woman commanding respect and silence that awaited them on a throne-like seat in the other end of the great hall.

Whispers bounced around the room, echoing louder than intended.

Headmistress Helena was dressed more formally than her usual self, in a gray head to toe gown, with her black cloak over her shoulders. She raised a single hand and everything went quiet.

"I'm sure you were surprised that the pairing ceremony will be done so early in your Wielder and Ashen career. I must applaud each and every one of you that stands before me.

Ashen, you have greatly demonstrated your strength and adaptability. Your endurance and perseverance. Istrek has told me all about your progression through the training and he has swore to me that in the long history of this Academy, there have never been more skillful warriors.