Chapter 29 - Part 3

The red sister made her ascent above the Academy Grounds. There was plenty of commotion still coming from the Training pit as people waited in line to heal their minor wounds. Stone lights were floating around directing people to where they were supposed to go. A constant stream of men and woman came in and out of the makeshift tents.

Haiden slowed to a trot as he moved past them, trying not to catch anyone's attention. He spotted Tasgal in thew crowd, he seemed like he was looking for something. Haiden's heart jumped a skip, the image of Tasgal on his knees flashed through his mind. Tears welling up at the corner of his eyes. He quickly blended in the dark shadows as he retreated away.

What do we do now? Haiden asked Screech hoping he would have a solution.

I don't know... Screech answered truthfully.

They will come after me, you heard that man! I'm a target, and I just killed someone. They'll hang me on the canal!" Panic flared within Haiden.

You did the right thing! He was evil! He made those monsters! Screech tried to argue.

It doesn't matter! I took a life...another one. Haiden stopped in his tracks, his legs began to tremble as his stomach churned.

He killed Mara, Haiden. Screech sent with one phrase an arrow straight in Haiden's heart. All sense of doubt vanishing from his mind. It was as if he saw clearly for the first time. The stacked bodies in Master Coner's torture room, Mara, they were all slaves. Like him.

Mara's golden eyes, her dark hair, pale skin were just like Haiden's. The sickening sensation he gets when he sees someone getting beat up, bursting with the need to do anything to end to it, was the same reaction he had all those nights trapped in his own mind, watching his body getting abused time and time again. It all made sense. The only difference is that now, he had control over his own body, he had power to stop it.

I think I know what we do next, Screech. Haiden said with conviction, his legs steadied and his tears stopped. He whipped his eyes with a dirty sleeve, full of determination and rage.

As soon as he began to move a small and delicate hand stopped him by the shoulder.

"Oh, Creators! There you are!" The woman said in a familiar voice. Haiden took a step back and prepared a barrier. "Don't be alarmed dear, it's me, Aliza!"

"Lady... Aliza?" Hande was taken aback, the tone in her voice had changed. The usual aloof personality to a serious one that said every word with intention.

"Who else, dear?" She asked as if he was missing a nugget.

"No, I just- I thought you didn't like the Academy." He answered still in shock.

"No one really does, do they, dear? All a scheme to enforce loyalty to the Empire, nothing more nothing less." Haiden could barely recognize the mindlessly chattering woman he knew. "Now, listen to me very carefully, dear. If you want to live, come with me."

"What!? What do you mean?" Haiden said in shock.

She knows, she'll take us and kill us! Screech shouted and squirmed in his mind.

Relax! She can't do anything. She's not a Wielder.

"We know all about you, Haiden. If you want answers and to avoid getting killed, come with me!"

"Do you know who's after me? Who's responsible for Regor's...death?" His jaw tightened, his teeth hurting from the pressure, as he swallowed his sob.

"I don't know who this Regor fellow is, but I do know who's after you, dear. Now come along, she's waiting." She grabbed his wrist and tried to pull him after her.