Chapter 9 - Part 3

[There was something in the pitiful cries of the creature and sounds of pain that ripped through his rage. He looked at it, defenseless, in agony just like Regor, just like the woman in the plaza. Just like Mara. Haiden released Screech and it fell to the ground, unmoving. At once, Haiden's eyes rolled into the back of his head, with his rage qualmed, he collapsed on his bed.]

The next morning Haiden woke up with a head splitting migraine. He rubbed away the sleep from his eyes and thought what an awful nightmare he had. Guilt swelled inside as he dwelled on his dream. Of all the things his mind could come up with, it had invented a scenario so unlikely to him, it made him laugh. He knew for certain he could never hurt someone or something like that, so he paid it no mind. And just like all dreams Haiden has ever had, or at least since he woke up in the Sanctuary, he filed it to the back of his mind never to revisit it.

For good measure, he glazed over the floor and there was nothing there.

Just a fucked up dream. He repeated to himself.

That day was undeniably boring, listening to Master Parvell about the 500 year war was a sentence worse than death to him and Maree while Camila was enthusiastically scribbling down notes. He went on and on about the great siege of Red Keep Palace, and Haiden's mind drifted away.

At lunch the three of them met Tasgal and as usual ate while happily chatting away. All three were glad that Haiden was back to his snappy self. Although, in turn, they had asked Haiden how he felt, they were always met with the same droll response.

"Of course I'm good, why wouldn't I be?"

They all expected him to be at least somewhat sad or melancholic from the previous night. It's not an everyday occurrence to have your deceased friend's spirit ask you to open the veil on the two worlds for him, and then disappear without a trace. But, alas, they decided to not press him on. They liked having him back.

The conversation progressed to the training on Minor spells and Tasgal took a back seat and just enjoy the delicious sweet buns of the Wielder's dining hall.

Haiden had been slacking off as opposed to Maree and Camila, but given past circumstances, he allowed himself this one time pass. As harsh and cold as it might seem it was liberating not having to concern himself with Regor. He was quite glad Regor didn't tag along and this whole ordeal was done and dealt with and can focus on what was important.

"Which ones do you have left, Maree." he asked, knowing that his friend was always a bit behind his classmates. Maree opened the book Master Rwoy gave them and flipped through it whale grunting.

"I still have to work on my Minor Synthesis, Minor Levitate, and Minor Crystallize." he answered sheepishly while ignoring Camila's furious gaze.

"You told me you didn't need to study for Crystallize because you, and I quote, "got it in the bag"'

"I say a lot of things, Cams. You were just so obsessed with going to the library everyday." his reply earned him a smack across his arm.

After Haiden finished laughing he cleared his throat. And started with Crystalize and asking Maree to show him. Haiden had always been more advanced than his fellow students, partially because of Master Rwoy's first week of training, and partially because he had devoured every book he could find on Minor spells the first few weeks while Tasgal was in the infirmary, and partially due to his natural affinity. As long as he could picture it in his mind he should be fine.

He immediately knew what was wrong with Maree's technique and pointed out that his Fios is too all over the place. "Crystallization forms when you arrange pure motes of a substance in a structure like pattern. Think back to the light stones. Same concept applies here, if you don't deliver constant and equal energy, the pattern is disrupted and breaks down the whole formation." he explained.