Chapter 27 - Part 3

Haiden watched closely as Maree stepped onto the arena, people cheered and screamed. On the opposite side a tall Ashen woman stood unphased, her face was one of eagerness rather than defeat like Vick. Unlike the previous two battles, this Ashen stood against someone whose family denounced their titles. She was free to unleash all of her strength.

"... and it is with great pleasure that I accept Wielder Maree of the former house of Hoffer as my personal protege, absolving him and his Ashen of any military duty in his journey of achieving Mastership acting as my personal assistant from this day onward and so..." A sea of gasps drowned Headmistress' next words. Even from the stands of those of higher standing chatter flowed and gasps of shock as they repeated the name of Hoffer. "Let the fight begin." She announced and retreated to her stand.

Maree felt every eye on him as they whispered his name in disgust. He had been discussing this moment with Helena from the very first day he began his training, while he was thrilled at the opportunity and protection this gave him, being one of the most powerful Wielders that the Empire had seen, it also came with looks of envy and cruel gossip. Anyone in their right mind would have accepted the offer regardless of others might say or speculate, it was too good to be true, the opportunities this opened for Maree were incredible and it made him untouchable to boot, not even Bras with his standing could lay a finger now without a proper reason.

He focused on the woman in front of him which the Headmistress introduced as Amira Ga'hir, she was a statuesque woman with chiseled muscles that flexed and rippled with each movement. It showed how dedicated she was to working on her body. Her leather armor exposed her right hand while the left had leather plating encrusted with the same clear crystals the Ashen used against Wielders. In her right hand she held a whip that nestled a crystal every few inches, while at the tip, the whip flattened into a sharp blade.

She watched Maree carefully, waiting for him to make the first moove and Maree obliged. From his bag Alva jumped onto the arena between him and Amira. The white fur of the Fennik Fox shined blue in the bright light of the summer sun. It's pure blue eyes glinted as his vertical mout opened and licked his lips. He was excited for the fight and he showed it by giving an ear shattering squeal. Amira was taken aback in surprise but quickly recovered.

People gasped again, some rose from their seats and shouted "Cheater" and "Scum".

"Just like your parents you are! Tractor!" A woman yelled at the top of her lungs. Maree ignored them and focused on his opponent, but he couldn't fully block out the hurtful words of the crowd.

The Ashen smirked as the people demeaned her opponent. She unfurled her whip. Amira gave it a twirl in the air, the small crystals tore through the air with a melodical whirl and the moment she snapped the whip a thunderous clap filled the pit.

"Alva!" Maree called out and the beast engulfed itself into blue flames. People watching were in shock. Some even yelled "It's killing itself!" their laugh died the moment a beast almost as tall as Maree emerged from the flames. It's fur danced like fire in the wind, pure white glistening light blue, it was ethereal. It grew knife like teeth that stuck out from it's vertical mouth. Jet black nostrils in sets of threes on each side flared as it breathed and steam escaped. It's long ears laid neatly behind him, half as long as he was. They twitched with every sound.

"Quite a beastie ye'got ther." Amira called out. "Too bad I'll hav'ta tear it in two." Her soft and playful voice did not match her rough appearance.

"Don't get too cocky, fucker." Maree smirked as he prepared his first spell.

"Didn't'ye ma' tell you it's not nice'ta cuss at wee lil'girlies." She laughed.

"You should thank the Cretors I don't discriminate." Maree had casted his mobility spell and the moment his foot left the floor of the arena, Alva ran on the opposite way closing in quickly on Amira, flanking her from both sides. Maree gathered his Fios around him create a couple of fireballs that he sent right towards Amira's right and Alva snarled and pounced on her left.