Chapter 28

Keefe's POV:

When I woke up from our nap, the sun was resting on the top of Calla's tree. It was almost sundown! I would not be able to sleep tonight. I took a nice, big yawn and stretched my arms up to the top of my head, then straightened out my legs. 

I know I only ever call Sophie "Foster," but I think of her as Sophie when I'm alone. 

As of right now, I was not alone, as she was curled up in my lap, head on my chest, pineapple hair current. A tiny blob of drool came out of the corner of her mouth. I reached down and wiped it away. 

That tiny contact with her skin still made my nerves go haywire - I still can't believe that we're together! She's so perfect, how does she even LIKE me? I felt Sophie stir against me, and then she blinked hard a few times and looked up.

"Hello. I think it's almost dinnertime," I teased. Sophie mumbled something about not being hungry, and then closed her eyes again. "Foster... I have to go home SOME time."

"No. Don't go home." Soph opened her eyes again and looked up at me, pouting, giving me the puppy eyes I would give her.

"Not fair!" I whined. "Those puppy eyes are MY specialty!"

"What about your hair?"

"Also my specialty."

"Mmm-hmm. Well, if you're going home, at least -" Bliztenberry Muffin (Sophie) yawned in an adorable fashion, like a lion cub if you will "-let me escort you to the Leapmaster."

Sophie's POV:

Keefe seemed different when I woke up. I noticed it immediately, and then I realized why he seemed not like himself. He wasn't wearing his pranking smile. 

It was all sincere and his real self. 

His broken side, I called it. 

His real side. 

I heard him say something about going home, but I was still wondering how his heart wasn't beating like a hummingbird's when I was near him. I could hear his voice rumble in his chest, the soft shake of his laugh.

"No. Don't go home." I wanted to be stubborn. I usually am when I wake up. We went back and forth for a small time, and then I told him I should at least give him a small escort. An excuse for a kiss. 'Cause I love him. 

He seemed to be thinking the same thing. So, Lord Hunky (I like to cut off the 'hair' sometimes. What? He is hunky. He IS my boyfriend!) closed the door to a three-inch crack, leaned down, and planted his lips on mine. 

I was still groggy to the point where I didn't want to move, but this gave me energy. I fell back on the bed, and moved my arms up. I let them move across his back. His hands played with my hair in a soft and gentle way I didn't know was missing from my life.

Sandor's POV:

With my keen senses, I could smell adrenaline from Sophie's room, and hear faster heartbeats. They were kissing. I decided to give them some payback for sneaking up on me and Grizel. 

So I stood up from dinner (I need to eat, I am a living being after all) and walked up the carpet section of the staircase with surprising grace. Not as graceful as Grizel, but close enough. I tiptoed right up to her door, which was cracked by the three-inch rule that Grady and I set in, and peered through. 

Yep. 

Kissing.

A/N Up next on Forever is.....