16

I was pleasantly surprised when I felt the effects of the pills only 15 minutes after they dissolved under my tongue.

I hadn't known what to expect, and the effect was better than I imagined.

It reminded me of how I felt in the hot tub, right before it happened. Carelessness. All my cares were gone. I felt the strange sensation of calmness, like every nerve in my body was relaxed. I felt good. Really good.

After another five minutes of blissful silence, I hummed to myself as I hopped out of the car. I was surprised Zane hadn't come out to check on me. I paused in the drive way and looked up at Zane's house. It was big, and modern. I could tell it had been built recently, in the last 5 years or so. I let out a short whistle in appreciation of the beautiful mansion, I wonder what Zane's parents did for work. Clearly, they were loaded.

I didn't hesitate as I pushed open the large black door. I kicked off my shoes once I was inside, noticing the pile that had gathered on the right side of the door. Zane's were there, but also two other pairs of male sneakers. I casually walked through the entrance way, peeking my head in each door I walked by. Normally, I'd feel painfully awkward being in someone's house like this, with no guide. Thanks to my new found friend's presence in my body, however, I didn't feel awkward at all.

As I approached the kitchen, I noticed a boy standing in front of the gas range oven, pressing the buttons on the stainless black microwave that was attached to the hood. I didn't make a sound, simply standing there observing him. He was dressed closer to Austin's style than Zane's, with golden skin and brown hair that was cut short to his head. When the microwave sounded that his food was ready, he pulled it out and turned towards me.

His reaction was comical. He was spooked at first, obviously by the presence of someone else in the kitchen with him. Then, a look of pure confusion covered his face as his eyes roamed my face, and then quickly scanned the length of my body.

"Who are you?" I asked him. It didn't dawn on me that he should probably be asking me that, instead of the other way around.

"I, uh. Gavin." He said after a second, before he cocked his head and lifted his eyebrows. "Seren, right?"

"Mhm." I confirmed, and I was almost surprised that a smile crept onto my lips. Ativan really was my friend, after all.

Gavin shook his head and looked at the ground, like something was comical. Whatever it was, I didn't know. "Come on. Zane's in the basement."

"Lead the way." I answered, gesturing with one hand. Gavin chuckled at me before he pointed his head with a tilt to a hallway to our left, carrying the plate of food. Looked like leftover pizza. Didn't he know you're supposed to eat leftover pizza cold?

I let my fingers run against the soft grey paint of the walls, following behind Gavin. He looked back a few times, I don't know why. It's not like I was going to get lost with him three feet in front of me. He opened a door with his free hand and led me down a set of carpeted stairs. You would think I would be out of my mind to follow a strange boy down into a basement, and you're right. I probably was. An hour ago, I would have laughed in your face if you had asked me to do that. Now, I was calm as a cucumber.

The stairs ended and a gorgeously decorated finished basement met my eyes. However, you could easily tell that the space had been taken over by a teenage boy. Piles of hoodies and jeans were slumped over the expensive accent chair, and a large collection of sneakers were displayed in one corner.

"Look who I found." Gavin chimed out as we approached a large leather sectional that was placed before a giant TV. Seriously, I think that's the biggest TV I've ever seen, and I knew a lot of rich people. Zane seemed to have a silent conversation with Gavin with his eyes. Gavin shook his head at Zane before plopping down on the couch between him and the other boy, who was looking at me with his mouth open. I raised my eyebrows at him, and I couldn't help the giggle I let out.