Bonus Chapter 7:Z

AN: Chapter 11/12 from Zane POV

"She asleep?" I asked Carter.

I was staring at the way Seren was laid over his lap, her head slumped on his shoulder. She still had her huge sunglasses on, like she had all day. She didn't remove them when the darkness overcame the light of day, and I knew why. She didn't want anyone to see how exhausted she looked.

The rest of the group had left to other parts of the yard. Olivia and Noah were in the hot tub and Jax, Tyler and Trinity were gathered around the fire pit, leaving only Cain and I sitting around the table with Carter and Seren.

It was odd, and nobody could deny it, the way Seren had been acting. She had barely taken more than two steps away from Carter. She left his hands on her body wherever he placed them, yet she didn't look happy to have his hands on her. She didn't look happy with anything.

Seren has always been the life of the party. She's loud when she drinks, she dances and laughs. She gets on top of tables and she yells out her words. She smiles when she's drunk. She's not smiling tonight.

"Yeah, she's out cold." Carter answered, his hand gently stroking up and down her arm. He looked like he had just won a first place trophy, and he couldn't stop touching it. It was sickening.

"Good. She seemed exhausted earlier." I replied, leaning back in my chair. She looked like she hadn't slept a wink, even though she had fallen asleep before I had left her room last night.

"So, are you guys a thing now?" Cain asked, and I could feel the tension in his words. Cain has liked Seren for years, and he knew as well as I knew, he was never going to get the girl of his dreams.

Carter hesitated for a moment. "We're just hanging out."

Cain and I both nodded, while Cain offered me a cigarette. I felt the drawing call for nicotine in my skin, but I ignored it, as always. The allure of the poisonous fumes have been surrounding me all day, after watching Seren chain smoke this afternoon.

I knew where Carter's hesitancy came from. We've all seen guys make the same mistake with Seren, after all. She pays attention to a guy when she's drunk, and they get their hopes up only to realize it was just the alcohol in her talking. I'm not sure why Seren hasn't had a boyfriend since I've known her, she could have anyone. I had a feeling the answer to that question was more complicated then we could guess.

"Do you guys know what's going on with Jax?" Carter asked us, surprising me.

"He was in a shit mood all day. He would barely talk to me while we are on the boat. Then, when Seren and I were talking down at the dock, he basically demanded she leave and go back to the house with him." Carter continued.

I couldn't help but look over to Cain, who looked right back at me. We both knew Jax's feelings for Seren. Hell, anyone with eyes could see the way he pined for her.

"Do you think there's something going on with them?" Carter asked.

I chose my words carefully, as I answered. "He's probably just jealous. We've all seen the way he looks at her." Cain nodded his head in agreement.

"You don't think they were together or anything, do you?"

Cain chuckled slightly as he shook his head. "What's the first thing you would do if you were dating Seren?"

Carter laughed quietly, I could tell he was trying his best to stay still, so he wouldn't wake her. "I'd tell everyone."

I felt a frown on my face emerge from his words. Likely, this was the reason that Seren didn't date, and I thought about  how hard that must be for her. To know that people only want to be with you because of what they see on the outside.