23

"So are you going to tell me what that was?"

Zane's car was parked outside my house now. I knew it was coming. I knew he wouldn't leave it be.

"Are you sure you don't know him?" Zane questioned.

"I don't know him Zane." I leaned my head against the window.

"Did he say something to you?" He continued.

"You were there the whole time." I reminded him.

"That's not an answer, Seren." He titled his head, and I could tell he wanted to roll his eyes at me.

"He didn't say anything to me."

Zane scratched his chin, and he was back to looking at me like I was lying. "So what was wrong? And don't say nothing."

"He just reminded me of someone." It's the truth, after all. Brandon didn't do anything to me at all.

"Of who?" Zane asked the one question I would never answer.

"Just someone. Someone I don't like." I muttered, reaching for the door handle, eager to exit this conversation.

Zane watched me wearily before examining the empty driveway. "You want me to come in with you? Wait for your dad with you?"

"I'll be fine." I sighed out, but for some reason I lessened the attitude in my voice at his concerned expression. "Seriously. I promise."

He looked like the last thing he wanted was to leave me here and drive away. "Okay. But if you need anything you can call me."

"Yeah, Zane. I'll call you if I feel the need to jump off my roof." I mumbled at him as I climbed out his car. When I looked back, I saw him flinch at my words. "Sorry."

"It's fine. I'll see you tomorrow Seren." He smiled at me before I closed the door.

As I reached my door, I noticed I hadn't heard Zane's car leave, and when I turned back to investigate, I saw he was still staring at me. I gave him a quick wave before entering my house.

The lights were all off, no evidence of recent inhabitation existed. I often wondered why my dad had felt the need to buy a house so large, knowing only the two of us would live here. Maybe he had hopes of a happier future, for both of us. Maybe he imagined meeting someone, maybe he imagined me having brothers and sisters.

Maybe. I guess it didn't work out for either of us.

I couldn't help but feel a little bit lighter, tonight. The weight in my chest felt lessened. The ice in my veins felt melted, to a small degree. I felt better, and I wasn't lying this time.

I threw my purse on my bed in my room before changing into some shorts and oversized hoodie. When I came back to my bed, my attention was stolen by the small white envelope that had spilled onto my duvet with the rest of the contents of my purse. I had forgotten about finding it in my locker at school today. Probably because of Zane's company.

My brain was at war again, half of me wanting to throw it away without reading it, and the other half too curious to do such a thing. The curious side won, it seems, as I made my way to my bed and sat down.

I opened the envelope carefully. Inside was a handwritten note, on a piece of lined paper that looked like it had been ripped from a notebook. As my eyes scanned over the first few lines, I felt the bile rise into my throat as my hand covered my mouth in shock.