43

Have you ever simultaneously wanted to be two places at once? Maybe want isn't the right word. Have you ever needed to be two places at once?

I needed to run away. I needed to run away as far as I can. I needed to be at home. I needed to be quite literally any place except for right here.

But, I also needed to go to Zane. I needed to make sure he didn't do the wrong thing, ending him up either expelled or in jail. I needed to calm him down.

"Zane!" Cain called from beside me, and he started jogging towards them. "What's going on?"

I didn't move a muscle.

Cain looked back to me, giving me a confused expression like he wasn't sure what I was waiting for. "Seren? Come on."

I willed my legs to walk. They did, but they did in a manner that I'm sure was much too calm. They walked like I was simply perusing at the mall, glancing around the windows of the stores alongside me.

I could hear their words as I inched closer. Zane's voice sounding like the familiar sense of comfort I had gotten used to, except laced with anger I had never heard before. Jax's voice was like nails on a chalkboard.

"You heard what I said." Zane was close enough to Jax that you could place a piece of paper between their noses.

"And I told you already, I don't care what you say." Jax spat back.

Cain reached them now, he instantly went to Zane's side, quickly reaching behind him and looping his arms between Zane's.

"Bro you have to chill." Cain told Zane. I wasn't sure if he was trying to calm him down or not, because it's almost like his words had the opposite effect. Zane pushed forward, tilting his head down against Jax's, causing Jax to falter back a couple of steps.

"I swear to god, Jax. I swear to god I will kill you right now. Give me another reason." Zane said dangerously.

"What reason do you have?" Jax responded.

Zane pushed on his chest, causing Jax to stumble again. Zane didn't let the distance grow, however, he only moved forward again.

"You know what reason." Zane growled. I realized there was a crowd surrounding the two now.

"Is this your jealousy talking? Zane, really? You're coming at your friend because you're jealous? Thought I knew you better than that." Jax raised his hands, placing his palms upwards.

"Are you fucking delusional? Are you sick in the head? You must be fucking crazy. You must be." Zane's voice was full of venom.

Jax laughed, and I knew it was the wrong move when Zane let a sharp exhale out through his nose. "Obviously not crazy enough for..."

Jax didn't finish his sentence. He didn't have time to let the words out before Zane's fist smashed into his face.

It's like I heard it before I saw it, even though I was looking right at them. I heard the loud crack of Jax's nose as Zane fist plowed into his face. Jax stumbled backwards, falling into the ground and clutching his nose. Zane didn't hesitate a minute before stepping over him and grabbing the collar of Jax's shirt.

It wasn't in slow motion the way I've heard fights described before. It was almost like someone had pressed the fast forward button. Zane raised his fist again, throwing all the weight behind his fist as he hit Jax's face. Cain was desperately pulling on Zane's arm, trying to get him to relent.

Zane hit him again. And again. And again. And again. I saw the blood pouring out of Jax's nose. I could smell the metallic scent pouring into the air.