nine

me: hey

me: are you busy?

george: no, why?

me: do you want to meet somewhere?

george: yeah sure

george: where?

me: uhhh

me: same grocery store?

george: sounds good

george: i'll be there in ten

me: alright me too

•••

I could already feel the moist air threatening to open up the clouds that didn't seem too happy. Again, I wouldn't have minded the rain if I were home, but I was standing out front of a grocery store that wasn't even open yet. I clicked my tongue as I checked my watch, noting that George was already ten minutes past the time we had scheduled.

"Hey!" Right on cue, George came stumbling from the corner, almost running into me in surprise. "Sorry I'm late."

I smiled, and shook my head. "It's alright, don't worry."

He returned the grin, and ruffled his hair up for a few more seconds before releasing the tension in his arms. "Why'd you want to meet?" he asked curiously, his hands now timidly shoved in his pockets.

I shrugged. "I was bored," I answered bluntly, biting the inside of my cheek to distract myself from the humiliating statement I was about to say. "And you're kind of my only friend here, since I haven't gone out all summer."

George seemed to be holding back a loud laugh, and my suspicions were confirmed when he giggled. "Wow, okay. I'm flattered."

"That wasn't my intention," I quickly clarified, only adding onto George's amusement. He pursed his lips to hide his smile as he snuggled a little deeper into his hoodie. That was when I noticed the logo etched onto the grey, and couldn't hold back a snort. "Are you wearing your own merch in public?"

"Don't judge, it's comfortable," he defended, a smile finally flickering up his lips. "Anyways, what do you want to do?"

I hummed quietly to myself and thought for a moment. "I don't know, actually. Do you need anything- like- to run errands or get something?" I hoped I didn't sound like a complete idiot as I struggled to form a literate sentence. To be fair, I didn't even know what was going through my mind when I'd asked George to come out in the first place.

"Now that I think about it, Sapnap and Dream did end up stealing all my chips. Maybe I'll get some of those at the store," he grinned as if the memory had replenished him with some warmth that had been stripped from him, immediately causing my lips to curve upwards as well.

"Alright, that sounds good."

"Cool."

I followed George, who held open the door of the store for me to enter, making a smile flicker onto my face like a match at his kind behavior. He stalled in the chip section and fastidiously analyzed the shelves before picking out two large chip bags and heading back over to where I stood at the front.

"Do you have a schedule, or something?" George suddenly asked after moving to the self-checkout area. "For streaming purposes, I want to make sure I'm not disrupting you." He quickly added, seeing my perplexed expression.

"Nope. I'm here in England to do nothing, so don't worry about bothering me," I assured. George quietly exhaled, in what I could tell was relief as he scanned the two items and placed them in a plastic bag.