fifteen

RIA

Ria sat on her bed, phone trembling in her hand, debating whether or not to pick it up.

Moments like these were times she wished she had done everything differently. Maybe if one different move was taken, she wouldn't be in the position she was in at that moment, seeing Colin's name appear on her screen and remain there.

After great anticipation and a scolding to herself, she shut the ringer off and threw the phone on her pillow face-down, ignoring the urge growing inside her. Thankfully, her thoughts were cut off by the slam of the door, and she rose to her feet when she heard her little sister's voice accompanied by a British man's voice.

So this must be George, Ria thought as she cautiously opened the door, greeted by the sight of Aurora slapping George in the arm. When George caught the sight of Ria, his face flushed a light crimson red. She held back a laugh as Aurora turned, and pursed her lips.

"You're home today," she noticed. Ria scoffed, and leaned against the doorway.

"Clearly. Hi, I'm Ria, Aurora's older sister," she extended her arm out, and she felt George's cold hands lightly wrap around hers as they shook.

"Hi I'm George, nice to meet you," he shot her a warm smile, and Ria couldn't help but note that this man was exactly Rora's type.

"You as well," Ria smiled and released her hand.

"You guys greet each other, I have to clean my room real quick. Don't be weird," Rora warned before disappearing into her room. Ria didn't know if she was directing her warning towards her or George, but it didn't matter. George perched on his toes awkwardly, looking anywhere but directly at her.

Ria understood this awkwardness. Meeting the older sister of your new friend—something the movies unrealistically portrayed as ending horribly.

"Don't hurt my sister," she blurted without any thought. That certainly seemed to grab George's attention, as he glanced her way with widened eyes.

"What?" he deadpanned. Ria wanted so badly to scoff, but she held it in for her little sister's dignity.

"Don't... hurt her," she pursed her lips. "You seem like a nice guy. Don't be an ass."

George seemed to understand, and slowly nodded. "Noted. I'm not an ass."

Ria nodded, and breathed out in relief when she saw Rora bounce back from her room next to George. "Have fun, don't be too loud." Ria gave them both a smile, and shut the door behind her, leaving them to do whatever people their age did for fun.

He better keep his word.

•••

I really had hoped Ria kept her word on not scaring George off the first time they met. George had seemed a little off once I emerged back into the living room, but his demeanor returned normal quickly and he was back to nitpicking my every move.

This time, I was the one to select "Beauty and the Beast" as our movie of the day, and we snacked on the cold leftover cake as the movie progressed.

"Ah- cold!" George breathed out, bouncing a strawberry between both sides of his mouth, avoiding his teeth. I smirked and easily bit into a strawberry coated in cold whipped cream, making George glance over at me in disbelief. "You are a superhero."