twenty

"Jesus, how much did I have to drink yesterday?" were the first words that I groaned out as the sunlight beaming through the window pierced my eyes.

"Way too much," I heard Ria's voice come from above my head that was now fully disclosed in a pillow as a lousy attempt to shut out all noises from the outside world. "You look like hell."

"Tell me something I don't know," I croaked, inching the pillow off my face slowly to adjust to the blinding light casting the walls. "What time is it?"

"Four in the afternoon." That certainly got my attention. I lifted my head, the pain cutting through like a large knife, prompting me to fall back onto the pillow. Ria slightly giggled at my failed attempt to get up, and I could see her push a straw sticking out of a plastic water bottle in my direction. She helped to direct the straw into my mouth, and I spent the next minute in silence to quench my parched throat.

"Thanks," I sighed after finally managing to prop myself up and rest my head against the headboard of the bed. Ria's smile didn't go unnoticed as she cleared her throat and stood up.

"Want tomato soup?" she inquired quietly from the doorway. I nodded, and that prompted her to silently exit the room, leaving me in my own spinning thoughts. My hand patted around the bed for my phone, and once I felt the hard rectangle under my fingers, I squinted to scroll through the notifications begging for attention.

•••

dream: hey are u okay?

me: i got a hangover but i'm good

dream: that's not what i meant

me: i know

me: yes i'm fine, it's not that big of a deal

dream: mmm okay

•••

cara: don't tell me you're drunk

cara: dream told me what happened

me: son of a bitch

me: yes

cara: how much have you had to drink?

me: a lot

cara: i thought you died

me: thank you

me: im alive unfortunately

cara: rora

me: jokes jokes jokes

me: i'm fine though

me: see i told you, drinking numbs everything

cara: that's not good

cara: should i get plane tickets?

me: yeah ma'am i miss you

me: i need a friend here

cara: i'll find a week off

cara: i love you

me: i love you more

•••

gogy: are you alive?

me: why does everyone think i died

me: yes i'm alive, thank you

gogy: cause you didn't answer your phone for 24 hours straight

me: i was asleep

gogy: did you drink?

me: no