eighteen

He was late. Again. What was his problem with always being late?

The pit in my stomach began to pool deeper as the amount of people grew copiously. They hustled in and out of stores, barely paying attention to their surroundings, which I could understand. The day had improved from the previous week, the sunshine finally making its appearance from behind the despondent clouds.

I opened my phone for what felt like the 30th time, and quietly scoffed when I saw the fifteen desperate messages sent from George, ranging from being in a panic to reassurance of I will be there as fast as you can blink. I resorted to occupy the remaining time by counting the people who passed by me before I saw his familiar face. I added them up to a total of 25 before my ears perked up at a familiar voice.

"I was sleeping! I'm so sorry!" I spun to my right to be met with a frazzled George. Sure enough, he looked like he had just woken up. His hair was tousled and stuck up on one side, his eyes hung low and his composure sunk downwards. I was thankful he had at least changed into a black coat overthrowing a large beige sweater and joggers—I certainly didn't feel like dealing with dragging him around in pajama pants.

"You know, we could have rescheduled," I suggested, seeing that his fatigue still clung to him. He shook his head hurriedly and attempted to pat down his disheveled hair.

"No no, this is completely my fault, I'm sorry," he exhaled. "I'll make it up to you, I promise."

Guilt began to pool in my stomach, and it was my turn to shake my head frantically. "George, there's no need to-"

"Really, I'm sorry. I'll- I'll pay for our food, seriously," When I attempted to open my mouth again, he reached forward to hover his pointer finger inches from my mouth, silencing me. "And you can't say no, because this is my gift to you."

I let a sigh escape my lungs as I relaxed my shoulders, defeated. "Fine. Just- don't apologize again."

"Noted," George finally laughed, his eyes brightening up from their banal state present just a couple minutes ago. He shoved his hands in his jacket and scanned the area, his eyes darting back and forth between each notable landmark. "What are you thinking?"

I shrugged, pursing my lips as I followed his line of vision. "Not sure, I don't mind." I hummed the melody looping in my head like an endless cycle as I thought about the options displayed in front of us.

"You okay?" The capricious question caught me slightly off guard, and I glanced up at him in surprise.

"Yes? Why?"

"Nothing. You just look more exhausted than I am," he joked lightly, and I allowed myself to genuinely laugh at his mockery.

"Shut up."

George raised a brow, but said nothing more as he continued to delve deeper into his thoughts. "We can go to the bakery," he suggested, and right on cue, my stomach began to cry out with growls as the emptiness took over my senses. I frowned up at him trying to hold back a snicker, but my smile quickly blossomed once again when he began to strode in the direction of the bakery. "I'll get you a pastry, my treat."

•••

The sun harshly beat down on us as we roamed the streets, conversing on something I couldn't even recall why it was brought up in the first place.

"The thing is, people take lies too far, and that's when it gets controversial," George had shrugged his jacket off a long time ago, and by now I could tell a pool of sweat had collected in his sweater by his breathing as he trudged alongside me. "Imagine just, nobody lies. Everyone has to say the truth. How awful would the world be then?"