One - один

September, 2023 - 28 years old

BROOKLYN, NEW YORK

I snapped my head around from my trash can to see my neighbor, Mr. Nakajima, yelling at the man who lived across from us.

"Hey hey no need for yelling," He said holding his hands up in surrender. Mr. Nakajima waddled towards him waving a a finger in his face.

"Hey Hey Hey!" a third very tall and handsome man intervened putting his arm out, holding Mr. Nakajima back.

"Yori, what are you doing?" he asked as I stepped into my doorway watching the scene unfold.

"Unique is putting his trash in my trash!"

"It's just trash!"

"Hey hey what's your name?" The tall handsome man asked Unique as Mr. Nakajima walked towards me. He saw me in the doorway and rolled his eyes throwing his arms in the air.

"Lina can you believe that idiot?" He said perching one foot on my step.

"He's definitely an idiot," I laughed nodding at Mr. Nakajima's statement. He turned back to watch as the man rolled his eyes walking away from Unique.

I went to turn away from Mr. Nakajima and head inside when he stopped he.

"Lina wait, I want you to meet my friend James," I turned back to the pair of men and smiled.

"You can call me Bucky," he gave me a smile putting his hand out. Our gaze met and I couldn't help but feel like I'd seen those bright blue eyes before for some reason. I took his hand giving him a firm handshake, probably firmer than I meant to. His demeanor changed and his eyebrows pinched together with a look of confusion. I pulled my hand away quicker than I meant to.

"It's nice to meet you Buddy..I mean Bucky. I have to get ready for work," I smiled and gave an awkward wave before closing the door to my apartment. I took a deep breath as I leaned on my door, closing my eyes in embarrassment.

"Buddy?" I asked putting my hand to my forehead. "You're an idiot Helina," I said to myself, pushing off the door and heading into my kitchen to grab something to eat before I headed off to the sushi restaurant I waitressed at.

Once I finished eating and was ready, I grabbed my coat and rushed out the door. I checked my phone and realized that I was going to be around 15 minutes late. So instead of running out towards the street, I decided to take a back alley route that would cut off 5 minutes. I was running for awhile before a I turned a corner and ran straight into someone which launched me back into the wall of a dumpster.

"Fuck.." I groaned, noticing mud all over my uniform and in the ends of my blonde hair.

"Running late?" A man stood above me offering me his hand. I took it and pulled myself up.

"Yes, I'm sorry I didn't see you," I apologized and wiped off my uniform best I could, the mud brown still stained my pants. I went to move around him but he didn't move just stood tall like a roadblock.

"I better get going," I said my tone of voice sounding confused as I pulled my purse back onto my shoulder. When I took a step around him again, he put an arm out stopping me.

"Excuse me," I said looking up at him, trying to step around him again but he grabbed my arm pulling my harshly.

"Let me go," I said trying to pull my arm from his grasp. Three more people appeared in black masks with red paint on them. Another man grabbed my arm the two pinning my hands behind my back.

"Who are you?! What's going on?" I demanded thrashing around in their grip, the muddy water below us getting even more on my clothes as I tried to kick.

No one answered me, they just grabbed me and kept walking. I tried to scream but someone clamped their hand around my mouth. On instinct, I bit down hard on their hand causing them to yelp. I swiftly brought my heel up to the crotch of the other person holding me. They lost their grip on me and I spun on my heel, landing a punch to the face of one of the masked persons. The mask snapped in half and their bloody nose appeared before they fell back hitting their head on the concrete.

"I told you it was her!" Someone yelled from behind me, I turned around and saw two people running towards me.

"We need to sedate her!" One of the masks yelled running at me. I ran propelling myself off the wall landing another punch before spinning and landing a punch on another masked person. They stumbled back into each other and I looked around looking for something to throw, then seeing the dumpster beside me, ran to it.

I picked it up with ease, throwing it on top of the people who tried to kidnap me a second ago. One of them caught it to my surprise throwing it aside.

"She's just like us!" One yelled and I ran in the opposite direction. As hard and as fast as I could, I ended up passing my apartment and popped out onto the busy street. I tripped but caught myself at the last second. I was walking along the street out in the open when I noticed a tall man walking towards me whose eyes were focused on me like prey. I went to cross the street but he followed me.

I was too distracted watching him that I didn't notice the van I was walking beside, until I was pulled inside. I immediately started screaming but a hand covered my mouth. Only this time I was met with a familiar man in uniform.

"Don't scream I'm not going to hurt you, I work with S.H.I.E.L.D. and the US military. I go by Clint..." Agent Barton explained and I roughly pushed his hand off me.

"Ugh Barton, I know who you are. Did you have to scare me like that? I've told S.H.I.E.L.D. I'm not going to work for them.." I huffed out pushing my hair out of my face with my hand. I stood up but stumbled back when the car started moving, making me fall back on my ass.

"You are Helina Levitsky. Correct?"

"Last I checked.." I sassed. "Is that big guy out there one of your agents too, why do you have someone out there trying to intimidate me?" I pointed outside. Clint looked confused and patted the driver.

"We have an agent outside?" Clint asked. He turned to look at me a glare set on my face.

"No sir," the agent called to him.

"Wasn't our guy," he shook his head.

"Or those people in masks?" I asked confusion written across my face. Clint's eyes widened.

"Drive!" was all Clint said, leaving me just as confused as before.