chapter twelve

Ryan's pov

The entire time we were at the restaurant, Jaymie was dead silent. It was weird she was usually loud and chatty. I'm sure it was a mix of not feeling well and not wanting to slip in front of everyone. So aside from the occasional coughing fit or tiny little sneeze, she was quiet. She barely even ate any of her food, only taking birdy bites whenever I nudged her. She was still half asleep, I felt bad that I made her come in with us, but she needed to eat something, and I couldn't very well leave her in the car. That's not safe and it's my job to take care of her. I leaned into her to whisper in her ear.

"Bubba, do you want me to take you home?" I asked, quietly so only she could hear. She let out another hacking cough and nodded, pouting at me. I nodded at her in confirmation, turning to the others.

"Sade, do you think you could catch a ride with these guys back home? Jay's sick and I just want to get her back so she can sleep," I explained. Sadie nodded.

"Sure," she turned to the other two idiots. "Can I ride with you guys?"

"Why not," Bee said, shrugging.

"Okay, great. I can bring your stuff back to you tomorrow or something, that okay?" I asked. She nodded.

"Yeah of course, but Jay looks like hell. You should probably head back now." I nodded and hummed in agreement, turning to Jaymie. I cleaned up her food, throwing the trash in the bid, but making sure not to throw away the toy. I grabbed her arm, holding her up. She made grabby hands for me, but I knew I couldn't carry her right now so instead I helped a very wobbly Jaymie to the car, buckling her in. She whined, sniffling again.

"Huwts mamma," she said, tears falling down her cheeks. I kissed her forehead, holding her close before I had to let go to drive home.

"What hurts angel? Can you show mommy please?" She nodded with a sniffle, tears still streaming down her face, pointing to her head, tummy, and nose. "Okay, we're gonna go home now, okay? I'll play some music, but I want you to try to sleep, can you do that for me?" I asked. She just nodded again, not in the mood for a conversation per se, but that was okay. I just wanted her to rest so she could get well. Hopefully, she'll feel better in the morning, but when we get back, I'd check for a temperature and give her some medicine.

...

Jaymie was out like a light, less than five minutes into our drive. I had put on some calming Disney music and as I suspected she was asleep right away, only waking up completely when we got home and I carried her inside. She slept, but I could tell it wasn't exactly peaceful. She was having a hard time breathing and was constantly tossing and turning. I felt terrible for the girl, and I could only assume that she got a bit of sun fever or a cold had been coming on for a bit now. Hopefully, I wouldn't have to take her to the doctor, Jaymie hated going to the doctor. It wasn't too dark outside yet, but it was getting there, so I just decided to bring everything in tomorrow.

I unbuckled her seatbelt and grabbed her in my arms, carrying her bridal style into the house. She shifted a bit in my arms and blinked up at me, turning her head in curiosity, much like a kitten or puppy would.

"Hello, little one," I said, tapping her on the nose. She scrunched it up and tried to twist away. "Woah there trouble maker," I laughed. "I'm gonna take your temperature and give you some medicine, okay?" She only blinked up at me blankly. I placed her on one of the kitchen stools where she almost fell, but luckily I was able to catch her quick enough. "JJ! You gotta be careful love!" I exclaimed, which made her burst into tears, pushing her face further in my neck to hide. I bounced her back and forth, shushing her. I guess she was too little to sit up on her own. I brought her with me to the medicine cabinet, keeping her on my hip. I rummaged through the bins and eventually found what I had been looking for. Carrying her to the couch, I placed her on my lap and put the thermometer in her ear. I didn't really have to check, I knew she had a fever, I could feel the heat radiating all over her. When I had placed it in her ear, she squirmed, trying to get away. I tried to hold her head still, but that seemed to just make it worse. It was almost as if she didn't realise I was right there holding her.

"Jaymie, bubba," I said in my most soothing voice possible. "JJ, I'm right her angel," I said, playing with her hair. She calmed down a bit, at least enough for me to take her temperature and as I expected, she had a fever. The thermometer read 101.7. "Aw baby, you've got a fever," I said, even though I'm ninety-nine percent sure that she had no idea what I was saying. "Let's get you to bed, okay?" She just cooed and babbled something incoherent.

I carried her to her room, changing her into a fresh nappy and a pajama set with horses on it. I didn't bother helping her brush her teeth, I figured she wouldn't be awake enough for it, or big enough, and I didn't want her to accidentally choke. I tucked her into the bed, wrapping her in enough blankets to keep her warm since she was shivering. Before she fell asleep, I gave her some medicine and some water to chase it down. She didn't like it as expected, but she did it somewhat with ease. 

She had finally started to calm down a bit, so instead of tears and whining, she was babbling nonsense and cooing

She had finally started to calm down a bit, so instead of tears and whining, she was babbling nonsense and cooing. It was adorable, and I had figured her being sick had sent her really deep into her littlespace. I had never seen her this deep into it, and honestly, it was so adorable. I gave her a final kiss on the nose before getting ready to head back to my room, but I heard her babbling something again, only this time it sounded like more of a sentence.

"What was that, lovie?" I asked, hopefully prompting her to try again.

"Don weav, mamma haf stay wif me," she said, half-asleep and lethargic. I couldn't deny her request so I toed off my shoes and climbed under the covers, wrapping Jaymie in my arms. "Wuf mamma," she said with another sniffle.

"I love you, bubs. Goodnight amorette," I said giving her a final kiss on her cheek. I just hoped she'd feel better in the morning. 

A/N: Here's chapter twelve! How do you feel about the story so far? I'd really love it if you comment and send feedback and suggestions and things you'd like to see more of! Enjoy xx

Question of the day! How are you today? I'm alright, I'm exhausted and my sister is sick but other than that things are good right now! xx