chapter twenty

Ryan's pov

It had been about a week since Jaymie's first punishment. She hadn't been acting up as much since then, but I knew something was wrong. She was just off, she was quiet and more whiny than usual. She was also having trouble coming out of her headspace since the punishment. She normally wouldn't stay in it for more than a day or so, but it had nearly been a week. I was starting to get worried, but today she woke up completely big. I decided that whatever she was internally battling with was probably tiring and she needed a break, so I planned a night in. I had dinner planned, with games, and other fun stuff. When I told her, she seemed as if that was exactly what she needed. Her face lit up and she was practically bouncing off the walls, so I took that as a good sign.

"Hey, Jay?" I called to the girl with red hair sitting on the couch. She was curled up with a blanket I had gotten her a few Christmases ago watching Law and Order. I watched her with soft eyes. I watched as she yawned slightly before cuddling even further against the couch. She hummed without looking towards me.

"What's up Ry?" She asked, eyes still glued to the screen.

"Do you want a comfy night or a dress-up order-in Italian night?" I asked, making her laugh.

"Let's just have a comfy night okay? Oo! Can I do your nails??" She asked, pausing her show and looking at me with pleading eyes. I hesitated, not liking people to touch my nails or pamper them, but one look at her pleading face, I crumbled. I sighed an overly dramatic sigh before nodding.

"I guess so," I said, dragging out the last word. She squealed before cheering.

"Yes, yes, yessss!" She grinned with a small giggle. My heart burst for her, I loved her so much. I can't believe I never saw it before.

...

It was around half six, we were cuddled up on the couch in our pajamas and she was currently deciding what colour she would be using on my nails. I had just ordered pizza and the website said it would be here in about an hour. She held up two colours near my face, I backed away staring at her strangely.

"Hold still, Ry. I'm trying to figure out what colour would look best on you," she informed me with a giggle. I nodded skeptically, but let her continue. I was new to this kind of stuff. "Hm, I think we'll do this one." She held up a pale yellow and cocked her head, almost as if asking for my approval. I nodded with a small smile.

"It looks great, love." I praised, causing her to blush, looking down.

"Can I start now?" She asked, scooting closer to face me. She was practically whispering and her face was close to mine. I hadn't realised how close we were until just then. I looked at her lips and gulped slightly, nodding.

"Mhm," I said, staring into her emerald eyes. She was looking back into mine and made no effort to begin painting my actual nails. Suddenly she leaned closer, her eyes grew wider.

"Ryan, I uh- I lo- I... uhm," She stuttered. I rubbed my hand up and down her arm in a calming way.

"Hey, Jay, it's okay. Just breathe." She took a deep breath and nodded.

"I love you, Ry."

"Aw, I love you too, Jay," I said, I know she loves me as just a friend, but I wish that she loved me the other way. "Now, what did you want to tell me?"

"No, Ryan. I don't think you understand. I love you. I'm in love with you."

Jaymie's pov

"No, Ryan. I don't think you understand. I love you. I'm in love with you." I cringed as I watched her mouth fall open and her eyes widen.

"I- I," she cleared her throat. "I don't-" My eyes started to fill with tears as I frantically shook my head, trying to take it back.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it, please Ryan, don't be mad. I didn't mean it I'm sorry, plea-" she cut me off, grabbing my chin and making me look her in the eyes.

"Hey." I tried to squirm away, but she had a strong grip on my arm. "Jaymie, you think after all this time, I wouldn't?" My eyes snapped to her.

"W-what?" I asked, confusion evident in my voice. She laughed, pulling me closer where my lips were almost touching hers.

"I love you too, dummy," she said before pulling me closer and pressing her lips to mine. It was soft and gentle, it was sweet. I could taste her watermelon chapstick and that was all I wanted. I just wanted her lips pressed to mine, moving in what seemed like slow motion. The perfect balance of sweet and gentle, but also passionate and meaningful. She pulled away slowly, making me frown at the loss before she kissed me with short pecks in between each word she spoke. "I," she pecked my left cheek, "love," she did the same to my right one, "you," she kissed my forehead, "Jaymie," she kissed my nose, "Keys," she said, kissing me one final time on my lips. I giggled the entire time and when she pulled away, I pulled her close again, snuggling my head into the crook of her neck.

"I love you, Ryan," I said, embracing her tightly in my arms. "I love you so much," I giggled, happy tears forming in my eyes. I was happy. As long as she held me in her arms, I was perfect.

A/N: Here's chapter twenty! I can't believe we're at 2.2k reads, you guys are so amazing I can't believe it!! This is the last chapter before the epilogue and I don't want to let it go, it's so crazy! I've loved this book so much and I am so grateful for all of you guys' support x I will try and give you all a double update and finish and publish the epilogue today as well. As always comment, vote, and share. Enjoy x

Question of the day! What kind of story would you like to see next? I am planning a one shot book as well as an enemies to lovers story! I can't wait x