Chapter 11: saving a life

What do you guys think of the picture? I drew it myself. As well as the one in the previous chapter.

Zack:

I can't comprehend what just happened. This morning, I was sitting on the beach when I saw a bunch of people gather and stare at something in the distance. I came closer. Narrowing my eyes, I could faintly recognise a familiar face in the water, struggling.

I though about calling the lifeguards, but figured that it will take too much time, since the lifeguards were on the other side of the beach and I was a pretty good swimmer anyways. I started running towards the water as I yanked my shirt off, and let pure instinct take over.

I ran until it was too deep to run, and then I took off swimming. As I came closer I realised what Jeanette's problem was... There was a huge whirlpool.

I was two meters away from my target when her head disappeared below the surface.

I took a deep breath and dived, opening my eyes underwater to see her hand in a reaching position.

I extended my hand but missed. I was running out of air and forced myself to reach further, getting a firm grip on her hand.

I swam up with a lot of energy leaking out of me and broke through the surface just as I lost all my air. I took a deep breath and looked at Jeanette, realising that she was unconcious.

Holding her waist with one arm, careful not to put her head underwater, while stroking violently at the water with the other arm, I made it back to the beach.

Her skin felt slightly cold on mine, as I gently carried her to a dry spot on the beach. I gently laid her down on the warm sand, looking at her peaceful expression.

Looking lower, I realised that she wasn't wearing anything but a bikini. Stay focused, Zack. "Jeanette, stay alive for me, please." I said and brushed some hair out of her face.

I started CPR, pressing her chest 15 times, then closing her nose and parting her lips to blow in air, then repeating.

I repeated three times before she yanked herself out of unconciousness, coincidentally at the same time I was giving her the kiss of life.

Her eyes opened, showing the brown and forest green irises that I hoped to see alive still.

She sat up, coughing and slapped me. Again. Let's just say I did not expect that. "What the hell Zack?" She said and attempted to stand, failing immediately.

"What?" I asked and tried to ignore the pain in my cheek.
"Why did you save me?" She asked and glared at me.

"Do you really think I'm that heartless? That I'd let you sink to the bottom of the ocean? Look. Don't take this personally, okay? It was pure instinct. I couldn't just let you drown." I replied and held out my shirt for her to put on. She was shivering.

She yanked the shirt out of my hand and put it on. "I don't need your help. You can't keep saving me, okay? Just leave me alone." She hissed and stood up gingerly, turned around and fell back.

I lunged forward and stopped her fall, putting my one arm under the small of her back and the other behind her head.

"Listen, sweet cheeks. You may not like me right now, but right now is the time in which you need my help. I'm the only one here who knows where you're staying." I replied softly in her ear and lowered my one hand to behind her knees, picking her up bridal style.

"You know where I live?! Stalker!" She gave a dramatic gasp and I rolled my eyes. I knew it was just the salt water in her brains talking.

"Come on, let's get you home." I said and carried her to my scooter.

"Right. Just hold on tight and you'll be fine." I said and helped her up. She subconciously wrapped her cold hands around my waist, causing me to blush.

But then I realised she fell asleep. Just great.

--half and hour of struggling later--

Finally we reached the cabin, and I carried her to her house. "Hello?" I called and a woman, who I assumed had to be her mother, came out.

"Oh no. What happened?" She asked and looked at Jeanette with worry.

"Uh... She nearly drowned. I gave her CPR so she'll be okay. She just needs some rest." I said and started helping her carry the unconcious girl into the cabin.

"Thank you so much for saving her. Are you a lifeguard?" she asked as we reached the door.
"No. But I learned CPR from my cousin." I replied honestly.

"Oh! Careful." She stopped me from nearly dropping her daughter. Once she was inside I let her go in her mother's care.

"If you need any help, I'm staying next door." I said and waved goodbye, with her smiling in reply.

Well. One thing accomplished. Befriend mother: check.