Chapter 4:

Jeanette:

I don't know why, but I think that Sarah is plotting against me. Every now and then I would catch her glaring at me from the other side of the classroom. Amy says I'm paranoid but Ashleigh agrees with me.

Ashleigh had never liked Sarah, mostly because she teased her red hair and freckles. She called her things like "carrot" and "freckle face".

But Zack is still a dreamer. Once I ran into him (literally), and Sarah wasn't with him.

"Oops! I'm so sorry." I said when all his books fell.

"No it's okay." He said, and that was when I recognised his voice.

"Zack? It's me. Jeanette."

He looked me in the eye and smiled.

"Hey Jeanette, thanks for helping me pick up my books." He said, still picking up.

"Um... No problem! So how's Sarah?" I asked, attempting (horribly) to make small talk.

"She's good, still hates you though." He said, chuckling.

I giggled as we started walking together. "Why am I not surprised." I said, shaking my head.

"What's your favourite colour?" He asked.

"Um... Aquamarine. Why do you ask?"

"Just wondering. Mine is green."

"Like a lime green?"

"No. Like your eyes."

"Well, then you're colour blind because my eyes are brown." I said, giggling.

Suddenly he looked dead serious.

"There's a beautiful patch of green in your eyes. They remind me of a forest." He brushed my bangs out of the way, making me blush like mad. Stop it! He has a girlfriend.

Zack seemed to have remembered that fact as well. His eyes widened quickly, as if realising something, and he pulled his hand back sharply, blushing as he did so.

"Uh... Ahem! Chocolate milk?" He asked and offered the plastic bottle.

"Oh! Um... No thanks. I'm lactose intolerant." I said and he nodded in understanding.

"So...Do you want to go get some lunch or..." He was interrupted by the bell ringing, signalling classes.

"Shoot! There's the bell. Nice talking to you, Zack!" I yelled over my shoulder.

I looked back, and giggled at what I saw. Zack was slapping his forehead over and over and OVER again, saying "Stupid stupid STUPID! Ugh!" Everytime he did.

The next thing I knew, Ashleigh was BOMBARDING me with questions.

"What was that? Why were you talking to the Devil's sister's boyfriend? How is he? What did you tell him? Does he need interrogating? " She asked every question without stopping.

"Whoa whoa whoa! Ash, calm down. All he knows about me is my favourite colour and the fact that I'm lactose intolerant." I said quickly to make her stop jumping.

"really?" She said, looking into my eyes as if my soul was staring right back at her.

I blushed when I thought about him describing my eyes, pulling my bangs out of the way.

"Oh. My. Gosh. You like him!" Ashleigh poked my stomach playfully.

"I do not! And will you shut up about it?" I hissed back.

Asheigh giggled. "I know that blush. You have a crush on him, don't lie." She whispered (loudly).

"Well, I may be lying but for good cause. His girlfriend is the devil's sister, remember?" I rolled my eyes. She mouthed and 'o' and giggled.