Chapter 9 - Road Trip

It's always the ones with dirty hands pointing the fingers

"Hey, wake up." My hand immediately twists the wrist of the hand on my shoulder out of habit.

"Fuck!" I open my eyes and immediately let go, realizing I'm twisting AJ's wrist.

"Oh shit. I'm sorry," I apologize standing up.

"That's the last time I wake you up," AJ mumbles. I turn around realizing it's now morning and we are still in the same sewer.

"Have you guys never seen Hunger Games. Why would you search this place," AJ comments as Hendrix and Chase walk back over.

"You watch too many movies," Hendrix mutters as he climbs the ladder. He pushes the manhole cover up and peeks his head outside.

"Coast is clear," he whispers, climbing out. He holds out his hand helping Toni up. AJ goes up next than me than Chase.

"Alright what's the game plan Charm?" Hendrix asks me. I face him before blinking several times.

"Me?" I ask. A series of yeah falls from their lips and I roll my eyes looking around. "Well we are already fucked for sure but if we get back soon we can survive a few detentions," I think out loud.

"Hendrix, you're a street racer right?" I smirk. He slowly nods and I run across the street to a parked car.

"Give me your shoelace," I say to one of the guys as we hide behind the car. Chase hands me his and I use it to unlock the car.

"Voila!" I gloat, opening the door. I turn back to see them staring at me with their mouths agape.

"I-I got locked out of my car once," I lie.

"Yeah and Chase is a virgin," AJ jokes and Hendrix laughs getting into the driver's seat.

"No keys," Hendrix mentions looking for keys. I reach under the glove compartment for wires. I take a pocket knife out shoe and cut them in an attempt to hotwire the car. When I hear the engine roar I sit back and smile.

"Seatbelts," I remind everyone. Chase, AJ and Toni are sitting in the back. "Drive straight down the road and take two lefts," I direct as Hendrix starts driving.

"If we all can drive why'd you ask Hendrix to drive," AJ asks.

"Well because we just stole a car. And in the event cops notice he can escape better than most of us," I retort.

"Way better," Hendrix smirks. I open the glove box and grab tissues. I damp them with the water bottle on the floor and begin wiping the blood off my face and arms.

"Where are we?" Hendrix says, realizing we are near stores.

"Hand me that jacket," I point to the random one in the backseat. AJ doesn't question it and hands me it.

"Thanks. I'll be back in 7 minutes. If you see a cop car drive around back," I specifically tell Hendrix before leaving.

I enter a store and pick out cheap clothes for us. We can't go back to camp in bloody clothes. I pick up soap and shampoo, a few waters and muffins for us to eat. Once I pay for it I notice the car still in the same spot. I reenter it with the bags and hand each person clothes, water and muffin.

"Drive down the back road," I tell Hendrix and he nods. We reach a lake as Hendrix parks. We get out of the car and I look around making sure we're alone.

"Here," I toss the boys a soap and shampoo. "Wash up and get changed. We can't go to the camp like this," I explain. Toni and I walk towards the right side of the lake as the boys walk to the right side.