Chapter 30 - Lucky Charms

I'm not rude. I just have the balls to say what
everyone is thinking

"Hi," I smile sitting next to Chase. He puts his arm around my shoulders and I feel as his fingers trail around the chain he got me. My eyes catch a gold shimmer under his shirt but before I can say anything I'm interrupted by a loud groan.

"I hate softy Chase," AJ whines.

"I'm soft for my girl not for you. Don't think I still won't kick your ass," he threatens.

"Damn thought you'd be hard for your girl," Hendrix jokes. We all laugh as Chase throws a fork at him.

"Hello lovebirds, idiots," Toni sits down with her tray glaring at the boys. The boys snicker to themselves. I notice her blonde hair has a purple tint to it. Oh my gosh.

"What did you do to her," I ask.

"These dumb fucks put purple dye in my conditioner," Toni whines. When she runs her fingers through her hair I realize it's purple, purple.

"Guys!" I scold. They all lose it, unable to control their laughter. I try to keep it in but end up laughing with them. It is pretty funny.

"It's not funny! I have a play soon!" Toni yells. I forgot, she does drama. The school is putting on a play soon and she's the lead.

"I'm sorry Toni. I'll help you wash it out tonight," I tell her. I feel a light pressure on my thigh and turn to Chase. He leans closer where I feel his hot breath on my ear and neck.

"You can't. We're going out tonight," he whispers before pulling away. I turn back to Toni and her purple hair.

"Lunchtime, swing by my cabin. Boys you owe us lunch we want burritos," I tell them just as the bell rings. We get up and head to the auditorium for today's assembly.

•••

During science Chase and I continue to work on our project. We weren't allowed to go to the library this time because of last time's mishap. So we're working on the floor in the back corner of the class. Took a lot of convincing, Chase hates sitting on the floor.

As he reads through the textbook I stare at him. A shimmery gold chain shines from the sunlight through the window. I reach my hand out for it but it's grabbed before I can reach it.

"Can I help you," Chase asks.

"Where are we going tonight?" I ask.

"The city. Be ready by 8," he says. I nod my head.

The assistant principal walks in and talks to our teacher. I watch their interaction as one hands an envelope to the other. Their eyes flicker to me a few times as I stare intensely. I don't bother breaking eye contact. Once the assistant principal leaves he makes his way to Chase and I. I break my stare looking back to Chase looking straight at me.

"Congratulations don't know how you did but congrats," he hands Chase and I an envelope each before walking away.

I tear mine open fast and unfold the paper in it.

Camp Thalassophile 17th Anniversary!
Speaker and Host 1 of the night. In charge of creating and memorizing speeches as you will present them a month from now. Friday night! Parents and family will be there.

I continue reading further down and look up at Chase who's obviously annoyed by this. I take his paper comparing it to mine. Exact same words and everything except he's speaker 2.

"Is this mandatory," I ask him.

"Read the last sentence," he tells me. I look at my paper looking for the last sentence.