Chapter 15 - Room Searches

"The students have already been arrested and will not be back this year. Enjoy your time as we finish the searches," he finishes. I let out a long overdue breath.

"What's the plan?" Shawn asks. I turn around to see a fire alarm. They have to let us go right if we pull it.

"AJ how good is your aim?" I ask.

"Best there is," he smiles proudly. I walk over to someone else's table and grab their football. They're way too scared of me to stop me.

"Catch," I toss it to AJ who catches it.

"Toni go talk to Samantha," I direct. "Please," I add as she's about to throw a hissy fit. She gets up stomping over to her.

"Are you going to tell us what you're planning," Chase asks.

"Shhh," I silence him, waving my hand around in his face.

"Hendrix can you run as fast as you can drive," I ask. Checking the watch on my wrist. I'm still wearing AJ's from the other night.

"I'm a driver for a reason. Chase is fast," Hendrix says and I snort a laugh. They all look at me weirdly.

"You know Chase and fast and chase and fast because chasing you know what never mind," I shut up knowing they won't get it.

"Okay Shawn here is your job. I want you to walk over to the lunch lady and talk to her about anything. The two over there," I say pointing near the fire alarm.

"Stand beside the alarm on whichever side you want. NOT in front of it," I put an emphasis in my voice on not making it clear. He nods, walking over to the two lunch lady's.

"Chase I want you to run. Fast when I tell you too," I tell him. He nods but is still confused about my plan. I check my watch once more. 3... 2... 1...

"You're a fucking bitch," I hear Toni yell.

"Says the bitch. You ugly freak," Samantha insults back.

"Ladies," Sanders walks over to their screaming match as I zone them out.

"Throw the football at the fire alarm right now. On a downwards angle," I tell AJ he nods, throwing it as the football glides through the air.

"Heads!" I yell trying to sound unsuspicious. It hits right into the fire alarm causing the loud alarm to go off.

"Now," I whisper to Chase as everyone runs outside. He runs outside fast. Everyone walks outside piling into lines. The teachers all take counts of everybody.

"Several missing," Mrs. Smith tells Sanders.

"Find them!" Sanders shouts. Shawn and I sit on the grass waiting for Chase. Toni is in the office with Samantha. I didn't expect her to get in trouble but someone had to take one for the team. Plus we needed a distraction. AJ and Hendrix are talking with Sanders. They know Chase is missing.

"Take this," someone whispers. I turn back, seeing Chase handing me the gun. I stand up placing it in the back of my jeans and lift my black shirt over it. I know they won't check me because I wasn't missing.

"I don't care, search him!" I hear Sanders yell. I'm about to walk over to him but Shawn grabs me by the elbow stopping me.

"Do you want to get searched too? Stay low," he whispers. He's right. We all sit down outside as they finish the room searching.

•••
You don't know me. You only know what I allow you to know

You're probably wondering about my sister. She still sends me quotes everyday so I know she's okay. We are just going to have to try again another day. Hopefully it won't take long till she's back again. But I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that we messed up. I messed up. I noticed the change but didn't acknowledge it. I should've known better. "Every little detail matters" something our parents used to say. And I completely pushed it out of my mind.