Chapter 27 - Watch Dogs

If it's still in your mind. It's worth taking the risk

"I like you," Chase blurts out.

"Hey! You two are in a lot of trouble," I look back seeing Mrs Williams shouting and running towards us.

"Think we can make a run for it," I look back at Chase.

"Ow, ow, ow, I don't think teachers are allowed to do this," I protest. Mrs. Williams has grabbed me by the back collar of my sweatshirt and is now pulling me away.

"Hey you shou-"

"Back to your tent right now Chase. Both of you are banned from seeing each other the whole rest of the trip. I'll have teachers keeping an eye out," Mrs. Williams walks me all the way back to my tent.

"I'm coming in," she says as I slowly zip my tent down.

"No offence Mrs. Williams but this is highly inappropriate. I think it'll be best if you leave me alone here. You're free to watch from outside if you like," I put on the sweetest voice trying to sound professional. I can't let her know Toni isn't in here. What kind of friend would I be if I snitched on her.

"Okay Charm, go to bed," she demands. I nod opening my tent slightly and sliding in the small opening I made for myself. Guess I'm sleeping alone tonight.

•••

I wake up to the sound of a trumpet. This is not the fucking military. I lazily look around for any sign of Toni. None, she must've slept in the boys tent. I still haven't even told Chase how I feel. I do like him too!

Unfortunately.

Never thought I'd see the day where I like Chase fucking Huxley. Never say never, am I right.

I change my pajama pants into a pair of Nike pros. I throw grey joggers on top knowing it's cold in the morning. I walk outside my tent seeing Shawn running over to me.

"Morning," he greets cheerfully. Too cheerful for an early morning.

"Hey," I greet back. "Have you seen Toni?" I ask. I look behind him seeing Chase, AJ and Hendrix all talking with a teacher.

"She's getting sent home. Got caught in the boys tent this morning," he explains. Great, no Toni and no Chase. At least I have Hendrix, AJ and Shawn if they don't leave me.

"Come on, let's go eat," he wraps an arm around my shoulders walking me towards a wooden building. Kind of like a huge cabin. There's a long breakfast line and lots of places to sit.

"Remember, no sitting next to Chase," Mrs. Williams reminds me, walking past Shawn and I in the line.

"Remember no sitting next to Chase," I mock rolling my eyes. Shawn chuckles at my micmicking. "She gets on my fucking nerves. I'd love to run a blade down her neck," I mutter the last part to myself.

"Eggs, bacon, waffles, fruit," Shawn says, naming some of the breakfast food. I take two yogurts, some fruit and granola. I don't eat much in the mornings.

Shawn and I find our own seat in the corner. I have spotted Mrs. Williams talking with Chase and directing him to a seat all the way across the cafeteria from me. We make eye contact every so often but I pull away tuning back into Shawn's story about planes.

"Hey, I'm up," Hendrix walks over talking to Shawn. He nods, grabbing his food and leaving heading over to Chase and AJ's table.

"Are you my babysitters," I question stabbing my fruit with a fork.

"No. Just making sure you aren't alone," Hendrix retorts.

"You know I can handle being by myself. In fact I can even make new friends," Hendrix snorts at my last statement.