The Secrets of the Desert (Chapter 5)

The cold bath didn’t really help and neither did the nap. I didn’t actually fall asleep; I stared up at the ceiling for hours. It was a lot to take in. Some Dragon Knight I personally didn’t know wanted to kill me along with my family and I had to stop him? How crazy was that? And of course it would happen to me.

I sighed and rolled onto my side. My eyes caught sight of the drapes covering the wall. Zjarr should be on the other side. She should be here with me instead of wherever she was right now. I missed her. She would know what to do. And if she didn’t know Robin could always help me. But he wasn’t here either.

No, the only company I had was a bunch of dead Dragon Knights coming back to life because of my presence here.

What had happened to my life? I used to rarely get out of the castle and now I hadn’t been home in a long time. How did that happen? But I wouldn’t change it for anything in the world. I have seen things I would have never seen otherwise. No way would my parents have let me go to the Elfique Forest if it hadn’t been for Zjarr. I would have never even come near to the Desert.

Sure I would have never been sucked in and been completely cut off from the world above but those were just minor details.

How did they expect me to go and convince all those royals to fight alongside me? Hundreds of Dragon Knights and thousands of soldiers had not stood a chance. How were we supposed to do any better?

I hated this. Being here and not being able to talk to Zjarr about it. Being here and not being able to do anything. I should go and get started; convincing royals to join me in battle wouldn’t be something that gets accomplished overnight. They might know about the prophecy and the temple and whatnot but that didn’t mean they would just help me.

Well some might. Like Kevin. He probably would. And Cyril. He married my sister. He should support his sister-in-law without question, shouldn’t he? Then again, Anne-Belle would kill me if something happened to him; family or not, she would have my head on a silver platter. Who else would help me without too much questions?

I couldn’t think of anyone else. I had no idea how I was going to convince anyone. I didn’t do diplomacies. Ugh, I was going to be such a bad Queen once I would be crowned.

I pushed myself to roll of the bed and landed on a heap on the ground. I stood up and walked to the window. A soft breeze seemed to blow through without end. It felt nice, almost as if I really wasn’t in a cave. But I was. There was no blue sky above my head, only rock. I needed to get out of here. And soon, before I went crazy.

But what if I couldn’t leave like the other Dragon Knights here? No, that wasn’t possible. I had already had this argument with myself. I had a prophecy with my name on it. There was no way anyone would keep me imprisoned here if they needed me.

I left my room and walked all the way down, hoping to find someone. I needed to talk to Sofia. I needed to find a way out of here. Regardless of all the things I didn’t know yet, all the questions that hadn’t been answered yet, I needed to leave this place.

The first person I saw happened to be Sofia so that was good; at least I didn’t have to go looking for her. She was still sitting at the table but now there was no food on it, no plates, not cups; it was completely empty. Sofia was writing something and didn’t stop even when I took a seat next to her, though far away enough so that I wouldn’t read what she was writing down to fast. I didn’t want to pry.

When she was done and did what looked like signing her name at the bottom she rolled up the parchment. She kept it firmly in her hand though. She turned to face me and there was a smile on her face. It took me completely by surprise and whatever I had been wanting to say to her left my mind.