The Secrets of the Desert (Chapter 9)

I don't know if you remember the little people Blanchefleur and Robin had a run in with on their way tot eh Elfique Forest.

Stammene av Åsene --> Tribes of the hills in Norwegian

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sighing, I looked up at the trees where I thought I saw Zjarr’s shadow pass over our heads. I wish I was up there instead of down here. “Can’t we just take a break?” I complained once more. I stopped the horse and a few steps ahead Robin and Lassa did the same, turning their horses slightly so they could look at me.

“What’s wrong?” Robin asked with fake worry. Lassa on the other hand had a smile on his face. When I gave the both of them an annoyed look and Lassa chuckled, though he tried to turn it into a cough. Not that it worked. A smile appeared on Robin’s face. Both were clearly pitiless.

“What’s wrong? What’s wrong is that I am tired and stiff from sitting in the same position while being so tired. We were up before dawn, which was a good four hours ago. Can’t we just take a short break?” I almost begged.

I watched them stare at me and then look at each other. I had no idea what they were going to say but if they refused I was stopping here and getting on Zjarr before heading to Rubis. They could go back to Sable Sucré alone for all I cared. Sure, I would probably regret the rushed decision but at least I would be able to get some sleep on my dragon’s back.

“Blanchefleur, honestly, you should have slept last night instead of reading that book until so late.” Robin sighed eventually.

“I didn’t read all night. I put the book down when I went to bed, you saw me put it on the table. I slept for about an hour before the nightmare started. I couldn’t get back to sleep afterwards.” I mumbled, not wanting to admit it out loud.

“Nightmare? Like the ones you had in Álfar? Because you could have kept those away if you were next to me or Zjarr.”

“You don’t think it tried that? I woke Zjarr up with my scream; she let me sleep between her front legs and had her chin on my legs. But it wasn’t enough; every time I closed my eyes the dream was right there. So instead of staring into the dark, feeling scared of that dream I took the book again.” I explained. I almost yelled it all at him but I didn’t mean to. I blamed it all on the lack of sleep and hopefully so would Robin.

He glanced at Lassa, who wasn’t smiling anymore. He shrugged and soon after Robin swung his legs onto the ground. “Fine, we’ll rest for a moment. But I want you to tell me about the dream.”

I sighed but swung my leg over the horse’s back nonetheless and landed on the floor with a soft thud. Of course he would want to know about my nightmare. But I wasn’t going to argue, we were finally resting for a little while.

So I slid onto the ground, with my back resting against a tree trunk and dropped my head in my hands, hoping to block out the world. But it didn’t work; I could feel Robin sitting down next to me and Lassa as well. He didn’t say anything at first but eventually he must have wanted me to tell about my nightmare.

“I don’t know what it was about really. It was dark mostly but there was fire as well. Lots and lots of fire. And there was this voice whispering in ancient Tanah Bulian; I somehow knew what it was saying but the more I think about it the less I actually think I understood. Or remember it. What I do remember is that I had that dream before; a few nights after I bonded with Zjarr.”

Glanced up at Robin, wanting to know what he was thinking about this all but his face only showed his worry. Lassa looked extremely confused but I didn’t blame him; until a few days ago he probably never met a Dragon Knight before. He probably never thought so many weird things could happen to one. Or maybe that was just me; so far I had had no point of reference though I was hoping to ask Sofia some questions by the time I would make it back to Istana Pasir.