The Secrets of the Desert (Chapter 17)

The mood was a dark one around the Elements’ table as they watched their chosen Knight and her dragon fly back North. The mood between the two of them wasn’t any better; it was probably event heir mood that was reflected around the room. If they didn’t know any better, Air would have guessed that Blanchefleur was still in shock. She had been in shock the morning after her run in with the rogue Dragon Knight; she couldn’t even tell the monarch what happened until Robin had helped her relax enough.

Air wasn’t quite sure yet if it would have been better to keep her in shock a little longer. Anger and a thirst for vengeance had replaced the shock. She and her siblings were afraid that she would do something stupid. But all they could do was watch over her like they had done up until now. Blanchefleur wasn’t a dragon; she was still under Tien’s influence.

Light was the first to break the silence that had fallen over the room a while ago. “Do you think she might not be ready for any of this yet?” That was quite a somber thought for her, but Air was sure everyone had thought the same thing as some point.

“What would you have wanted us to do for her? She has already bonded with her dragon, she had started learning and Seelan has woken up,” Dark retorted. “The only thing we could possibly do would be to influence Nidhug, but he has become stronger and could more easily fight our influence now.”

Light sighed in defeat, knowing that her brother was right. Air leaned back in her seat as well, not knowing what they could possibly do to make this situation any better. The only thing they could do was watch as the events played out and just hope for the best.

“But Tien wouldn’t have chosen Blanchefleur for Zjarr if she didn’t think that together they could win this. And Varteni wouldn’t have chosen Robin,” Water reminded them.

It was almost as if the elfin Goddess had heard her name, because barely a minute later she threw open the door to the room, and strode inside with a determined look on her face. She closed the double doors behind her again and looking at the Elements. Her green eyes lingered briefly on Earth, Air noticed, much to her joy and then the Goddess went to stand and the head of the table.

“It’s nice that you put guards outside the doors, but right now, I doubt it is the best move. You aren’t the only ones worried, you know. All the others are too, and locking away like this isn’t a good thing,” she stated, putting her hands on her hips.

“How did you even get in here, in the first place?” Mind asked.

Varteni only rolled her eyes, moving them briefly to Earth. Air grinned across the table at her brother, wiggling her eyebrows but he ignored her completely. Instead, she sent a current through his hair, which had Varteni raise her eyebrows with amusement. Earth, long used to his sister’s games, let her do her wind thing and just turned his attention back to the table.

He didn’t know what to think of this entire situation; none of them had expected Seelan to do anything like that. They had all thought he would first rebuild his army before he would show up in any of the Kingdoms. So far, the rogue Knight had proven them wrong three times; first he had gone to Fullmåne where he had had his first run in with Blanchefleur, then he had raided the Archives and now this.

It wasn’t fun anymore; this guessing game needed to stop before he killed more people just to show off his powers to their chosen Knight. Pushing his seat back, causing all his brothers and sisters to look his way, Earth got up and walked to Varteni. He held out his hand and waited for her to place her hand in his.

“Let’s go see Tien; there is something that I need to ask her, we’ll go back to your meadow afterwards. I need some fresh air,” he told her before looking at the others and adding, “As does everyone else here in this room.”