The Secrets of the Desert (Chapter 6)

Well people, I forgot to mention something important, or semi-important, in the previous chapters. Remember the medallion Blanchefleur found in the Desert all the way at the end of the first book, silver with a green dragon? Maybe you already guessed it but it belonged to Sofia. I'm going back to change it at some point but for now... sorry =S

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I woke up the first thing I noticed as I stared at the wall was that it wasn’t sand colored. In fact, it was white. And the bed felt different as well; the sheets were a lot thinner than what I had slept under these was three nights. But then again, it was hot in the room; unlike in it had been in the cave.

Rolling onto my back I took in the ceiling, higher up than it had been in my bedroom in Istana Pasir. There was no doubt in my mind as to where I was right now. In fact, even the void in my mind was filled. It felt good to have Zjarr back in my mind even though at the moment she was completely silent. Everything was silent. But I didn’t care.

The light streamed in through the window, casting a soft orange slow onto everything in the room. It made me feel relax. A gentle breeze blew in as well. Somehow I just knew that this was real. I felt it. The breeze was fresh, not like it had been in the cavern. And the light was not just a reflection of the sunlight on the Desert high above my head.

I tried pushing myself up and into a seating position but decided against it after I was half upright already. Falling back into the soft pillow, a laugh escaped from my lips. Somehow, just knowing that I was out of the Desert filled me with so much happiness. All I wanted to do was bask in the short moment of glee.

And if this was how I felt after only three days at Istana Pasir, I could barely imagine how the other Dragon Knights must be feeling. They had died in that cave hundreds of years ago and had come back to life thanks to me. And above all they had been able to leave there. Sure it was to help me so they couldn’t really relax just yet but it was still better than nothing.

Looking around the room, or at least what I could see of it from my lying position in the bed, I noticed that it wasn’t one of the Dragon Knight bedrooms. This one only had a bed in it and a dresser. And a door though I had no idea where it led to. I didn’t really care in that moment. My eyes just closed again after a moment.

I must have fallen asleep again because when I opened my eyes again it was dark in the room. Night. All the sunlight was gone and everything was just darkness and shadows. Until the door opened and a small strip of light appeared on the floor. I could hear the faint voices from outside of the room but I was still too much daze to concentrate on it. Then before I knew it someone walked into the room, holding a single candle. It wasn’t enough to light the whole room but it was just enough for my eyes to take in the shadow walking in.

The shadow approached the bed until it saw me looking at them. It stopped right there and looked back at me.

“So, you’re finally awake?” The voice cut through the daze I was in and I found myself concentrating on it. “You gave us quite a scare, you know? First disappearing and then we found you passed out in the Desert.”

“Oh hush. I didn’t pass out I simply fell asleep.” I mumbled, holding up an arm against the candle light.

“And what is the difference?” Robin asked, arching an eyebrow.

“I don’t know but I just wanted to point out that I fell asleep and did not just drop down on that spot.” I shrugged, sitting up in the bed.

“It sure looked like it.” He sat down on the bed after putting the candle on the side table. “But I’m glad you’re back. And Zjarr as well; I think she was scared the most. She couldn’t even feel you anymore.”