The Secrets of the Desert (Chapter 11)

There was an annoying knocking sound echoing through the house, waking me up. I opened an eye, just barely, before I closed it again at the sight of the light coming in through the window. It was too early for anyone to wake me up especially after Zjarr and I had flown all of yesterday and a good part of the night as well before we made it back to Fullmåne. It had been too dark for anyone to see us arrive so there weren’t any soldiers waiting for us, which made it easier for both Zjarr and I to go straight to bed.

But right now I was sure someone was knocking on the door; I didn’t want to get up and open it because that would mean I wouldn’t be going back to bed before tonight. And I was still so tired. So I just lay in bed, a pillow over my head, hoping that whoever it was would get the hint soon and leave. After a while the knocking stopped and I sighed.

“Thank you, Tien,” I said as I placed the pillow under my head once more instead of over it.

“Princess, I know you are in there and that you are awake! Come open this door or I’ll do it myself.”

That voice… I groaned as I pushed myself out of bed. I pulled a shirt over my head, making sure I was covered before ripping the door open and glared at the person. Standing there, looking as calm as ever was Sir Jamshid and Vadmin was slightly behind him. I thought I recognized Robin’s father’s voice. Both of them smiled at me and I reluctantly moved out of the way to let them in before closing the door with a bit too much force.

“What is so important you had to wake me up so earlier?” I asked, as I dropped down in an armchair and pulled my legs up to my chest, grabbing the blanket that lay over the back of the seat.

“It was almost noon,” Vadmin pointed out.

“So? Yesterday was very tiring. Everything had been very tiring since I have come back from the Desert. Besides, I’m a growing girl, need my sleep.” I heard Zjarr snort from the bedroom but completely ignored her. Just because she was already a hundred years old…

“The Desert? I thought you went to Álfar. And where is my son? I expected him to come and see me when he came back; or is he still sleeping?”

I had actually hoped Robin had written his father a letter to tell what was going on or that Svadilfari would have informed Vadmin. Judging by the look on their faces though, it looked like I would have to tell them everything.

“Well, uh… we went to the Desert after our stay in Álfar,” I started and Zjarr made a rumbling noise that had me correcting myself. “I went and Robin came after me even though I hadn’t expected him to.”

“But why?” Sir Jamshid frowned.

“I saw a ghost of a Dragon Knight and she told me to find her once I figured out where. Then there was a little problem between Robin and I and Anila… one thing led to another and I was sneaking out with Zjarr, heading for Sablier.”

That didn’t seem to help them at all so for the next half hour or so I told them everything about our stay at Álfar. Meeting Robin’s friends along with the two Princesses and the Queen, training with them while Robin was gone with Svadilfari searching for some flower, the Festival of Lights, research related to the prophecy and Sofia, the way that Anila seemed to have a problem with me from the beginning and how the Queen seemed to know that Robin and I were involved with the prophecy.

Next I told them about the Knights that had disappeared and how I thought I could find them somewhere in the Desert, how I went to Sablier and Robin caught up with me there, how the Desert sucked me up and spit me back out again a few days later. And of course I didn’t leave out what had happened the time I was under the sand and afterwards.