0

The night was young. The La Push reservation was fast asleep. Except for a small, painted in red house close to the border. If one listened carefully enough, one could hear an argument.

A grey wolf had cuddled among the trees, resting from a long run, when it had heard screams from the house nearby. The animal couldn't help but be curious. What was going on? What had made the humans who lived in the house so resentful at each other?

The wolf pricked its ears. It focused on the hurtful words being thrown by a girl:

"I'm so sick of this and most of all, I'm sick of you!"

"Ness, please, just wait! Hear me out, it's not what it seems to be!"

"Fuck off!"

And a door slammed. The wolf could now hear footsteps. The girl was stomping away from the scene, tears of anger running down her face.

The wolf suddenly regretted being in its form. It wished it could shift back to its human form, to comfort the stranger. Perhaps she needed a hug and a deep conversation? What had the man done to her to hurt her so badly that she refused to listen to him?

The animal slowly approached the scene, careful not to scare the girl, who had stopped in her tracks, as if she could hear the presence of a stranger. Her eyes had widened in fear, suddenly regretting arguing with the man inside of the house. Had she not raised her voice at him, perhaps she wouldn't be hesitating whether or not to call him outside.

But he was going to save her either way, wasn't he? He had to - he had imprinted on her. She could always rely on him for everything. He put her first, on a pedestal, even before his family and friends.

Just as the animal was ready to shift back to its human form, the door slammed open and the man who had hurt the girl was revealed - a tattooed Native American from the tribe.

"Ness!", he exclaimed, rushing to get her away from the unknown grey wolf who was now glaring at the man who had hurt the girl.

But was too late. The girl and the wolf had caught each other's gazes. From now on, everything was going to change for them and everyone around them.

 From now on, everything was going to change for them and everyone around them