16

Bella Cullen was shedding vampire tears over the letter she had just received from Florida. And how could she not? Her child was away from her, God knew where, and there was nothing she could do. Especially since that letter instructed her not to do anything and to not look for Renesmee. What if she was in danger? What if the Volturi had kidnapped her and Hope on the way to wherever they were going?

She refused to listen to what the letter said. She, as a mother, needed to find her daughter imperatively. She needed to know that her child was fine and seeing that Renesmee supposedly would not call her soon, Bella had to take action. However, her family refused to let her go. Now she was wailing in the hallway, stuck in her husband's arms as he had held her close to himself. Her phase of a newborn vampire had been over many years ago and her husband was stronger than her now. It hadn't always been like that.

"Don't worry, my love, we will find her," Edward was whispering words of wisdom to his wife. "But you cannot do this by yourself. We need to plan."

"Shut the fuck up, Edward!" screamed Jacob, without caring that he or Rosalie could throw him to the other side of the woods with one bare hand. "Shut up and listen to your wife, for once!"

No one paid any attention to Jacob's comment. The sad, yet funny truth was that Edward always listened to his wife. However, she never listened to him and now that was the reason why they had that problem.

In fact, Edward had always believed Renesmee had to have been sent to live at Jacob's later on when she was biologically eighteen and not as soon as she turned seven. For eleven years, because of his explanations not being convincing enough for Bella, Renesmee had suffered in silence.

For once, it was Bella's fault. And just as she wanted to fix everything and for everyone to go back to their merry lives, her family disagreed with her. For once, things weren't going to happen the way she wanted them to happen. She had no control over the situation.

What she didn't know was that there were more people on the look for Renesmee and Hope. And they weren't the Volturi.

Far away, in the woods of Mystic Falls, the state of Virginia, was hidden a boarding school for supernatural creatures. There had lived and studied Hope Mikaelson until she had jumped in Malivore. And at first, like they were supposed to, everyone who had known her once had forgotten about her.

Until a certain student had begun remembering her in her dreams:

"I'm telling you, Dad, there was a student, named Hope Mikaelson in our school!", Elizabeth Saltzman was desperately attempting to remind her father of the existence of one of their students. Alaric, however, couldn't understand his daughter. He thought she was having one of her "episodes". She was bipolar, so anything could be expected of her, at least in his eyes.

Alaric wasn't sure whether to believe Lizzie or not. He wouldn't be surprised if she was making all of this up to gain his attention. Ever since he had been replaced with another principal, he had had no other choice but to go back to his old job of teaching history at the public high school nearby. His daughters, however, had been allowed to stay at the Salvatore school, given that they were siphoners and couldn't attend a public school yet.

"She's telling the truth!", another voice, the one of Josette Saltzman, spoke over the phone. The twins were having a conversation with their father over the phone, seeing that he didn't live at the school anymore, but they still did.

"And other people are beginning to remember her!", Lizzie presented him with another argument. More like, bombarded him. Not in her eyes. Never in her eyes. She and her sister were only sixteen and with their mother always away, they only had each other and their father when it came to the newest mystery involving Hope Mikaelson. It was new for them, still remembering everything. Little by little, memories had begun to come back. And they weren't alone. At lunch and dinner, they had heard their classmates discuss the same. The twins, however, had decided to keep quiet for now and only speak to each other and their father about that, unsure who to trust.

Alaric let out a deep sigh. In the end, he decided to allow the twins to perform a dark magic spell to locate Hope.

"But you cannot do it on school grounds!", he reminded, before he angrily hung up the phone. Now he had one more thing to worry about. At least alcohol calmed him down. He poured yet another glass of whiskey, as he recalled the conversation with his daughters over the phone.

Hope Mikaelson. He didn't remember her but she remembered him. She would never forget how he had almost become her father figure after the death of her own. Alaric had begun to teach her to fight, he had encouraged her to communicate with her peers and not to isolate herself. In one way, he was the figure she needed in her life. But in another, she loathed with a burning passion that she had allowed herself to let her own principal in her private life.

Not that he was her principal anymore. She didn't plan on attending the school any longer, even if he begged her to do it. She was too old and she had to enter the adult world. She couldn't do that if she was stuck at high school until she graduated with Josie and Lizzie. After all, she was two years older than them, even though people around them tended to forget that.

Alaric gulped the glass of whiskey in one take before heading off to sleep. He was going to leave the next day to fret over Hope and his daughters.