3

The previous night had been somehow one of the most exciting ones for Renesmee Cullen. She had expected that nothing would happen, alas, she had been proven wrong when she had seen the grey wolf. She had never seen a wolf come to Jacob's house before. Suddenly, the tiny red house felt less like a prison to her. She had moved into it as soon as she had stopped ageing. None of it had been her choice, but when had she ever chosen anything for herself? Her aunties bought her clothes and makeup, her father read her mind, her mother saw her dreams, her uncle felt her emotions and her grandpa saw her Jacob had imprinted on her upon birth and now they had to live together and to start a family. While they shared one bed, they had never been intimate in any way. Renesmee felt nothing but resentment towards him. Resentment that he wanted her and refused to let her breathe.

At least she could attend school. Her parents had insisted on it. At least they cared about her education. School gave her a bit of freedom, despite the fact that she had to lie and pretend.

Renesmee had barely focused on her lessons that day. Her mind had been occupied by thoughts about the grey wolf. Renesmee had seen many wolves in her life, alas this one stood out somehow.

The hybrid girl shambled her feet, barely wanting to go to the place she was now supposed to call "home". What was there to look forward to? The wolf was gone, she had to clean and cook for the pack meeting.

Alas when she came to sit on the back porch to relax before tackling her tasks for the day, she was taken aback by what she had seen.

She couldn't believe her eyes. The wolf was there, after everything Jacob had said. The wolf had to have heard. Renesmee was sure it wasn't just a wolf, that it was a shapeshifter from another pack, who was alone, trying to find its way back home. Of course, she didn't know that she was right. She believed it was all simply aspect of her imagination.

"You're back!", she exclaimed, eyes wider than pancakes. And then she ran to the animal without any hesitation or fear in her body. She sat on her knees as close as possible to it and wrapped her arms around it, allowing herself to feel the animal's fur tickle her skin. It felt pleasant, even more than the times she had sat on Jacob's back. This grey wolf's fur felt different. Softer. For some reason Renesmee imagined the wolf being a female one. She wondered whether or not it had children, but if the wolf had any, for sure it wouldn't have left them all by themselves, would it?

She was cuddling the wolf as if it was a soft toy, her face was buried in its fur and she hadn't felt that liberated in ages.

But her joy was short-lived.

"Get away from it!", an all-too-familiar voice boomed, making both Renesmee and the wolf jump at the same time from fear.