2

The animal had barely slept that night. The arguing between the girl and the man had scared the wolf. Something in it was dying to know whether the girl was okay. It hadn't felt emotions in many weeks, ever since it had come from the place it had gone to sacrifice itself for the better of the surrounding others. Back when it thrived being in its human form. But once it had been forgotten by everyone in its world, the animal had decided that it would be better to leave. What was the point of attempting to build back its life brick by brick when it could start a new one? And so one day, it had shifted from a human to a wolf form and had taken off, leaving everything and everyone behind.

For weeks, the animal would survive on running, hunting and sleeping in the woods, searching for a new place to call home. And when it had found La Push, at first, it hadn't known about La Push being a reservation. It had simply seen lights and had followed them. That had been how it had found the red house. And the girl. And the screaming Native American, who was hurting the girl.

The wolf knew it wasn't welcome in the red house and expected an army to arrive for it but despite everything; it had taken a risk. If it died, then at least it could attempt to make the girl feel better, somehow feel loved, if that was possible. So it slowly made its way back to the house, risking its life. Even if it died, it would not be in vain. At least the animal could save the girl. No matter how many times it had been told it couldn't be a hero, it would never believe the surrounding adults. After all, the animal had been alive in its human form for eighteen years. And back from where it had come from, the animal had been the strongest one.

It was a sunny day - one of the rarest in the region. There was a reason the girl and her family lived nearby. But the wolf would learn none of that soon. Besides, nothing else interested it except for the well-being of the girl. It was bizarre - the wolf had seen the girl only once, yet it felt the need to make sure she was okay. And it wasn't just because of the Native American who had hurt her.

The wolf was slowly making its way to the red house, hoping that the tattooed man would be nowhere around the girl. Or the house. It didn't need to hear any more arguments. It was hoping to see the girl instead and to slowly approach her, to ensure her it would not hurt her.

When it reached the red house, there was no one to be seen. The animal wasn't sure what the time was. It suddenly wished to shift back to its human form and to have a wristwatch. What if it was too early? Perhaps the girl was at school or at work? If that was so, the wolf had no other choice but to make itself comfortable and to wait.

The hours were going by slowly. In no time the afternoon would come and then evening. The animal didn't want to have to go back to hiding. Not before it made sure the girl was okay, even if that meant waiting for hours.

The wolf was feeling tired, and the warmth wasn't helping. So it lay down, to take a nap. But just as it had got comfortable, ready to close its eyes and to doze off, a loud exclaim of joy was heard:

"You're back!"

The animal slowly opened its eyes to see the girl crouching next to it.