13

A QUICK AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Dear friends,

I launched a Patreon where you can get early access to written works (including this story) + some other perks for only 1,50 USD. All of the funds are going to the self-publishing of my future books. Consider checking out my Patreon (it's in my Linktree which is in my bio). Alternatively, you can buy me a coffee from my Linktree (Ko-fi).

Happy reading!

Renesmee and Hope didn't have any ideas where to go. They just knew they had to go somewhere... just anywhere that was far away from La Push.

At first, they ran. They ran as fast as they could, knowing the wolves of La Push were faster. They could imagine Jacob's reaction when he saw that his precious imprint had left because she had refused to marry him.

Whenever they got tired, they would lie down under a tree to rest. It was almost the middle of November and being in the North didn't help them during the cold nights. Hope wasn't like Jacob or the shapeshifters from the La Push. While she had a human form, that didn't make her the same as the other wolves Renesmee knew. And she wasn't nearly as warm as Jacob. Still, it was possible to rest your head on her body without her feeling discomfort.

The weather conditions forced the two of them to suck it up during the chilly nights. Renesmee regretted not bringing a blanket. If Hope was in her wolf form, the two of them could have rented a hotel room. At least Renesmee had brought her fake documents and all of her saved up money.

Until they started heading in the South, where the nights became warmer and more bearable.

While at first Renesmee had led the way, she then had switched with Hope, who knew exactly where to go. The grey wolf knew it was risky, but it seemed that there was no other option but to return to the wolf's hometown of New Orleans in Louisiana. Otherwise, they would have to go to Mystic Falls in Virginia or Jacksonville in Florida. Mystic Falls was where Hope had attended school until she had jumped and risked her life. And neither of the girls was quite ready to go back to school. Jacksonville was where Renesmee's grandmother now lived, but she was unaware of the existence of her granddaughter. The hybrid had promised herself to visit her as soon as she was old enough in human years. She would have to make that visit soon.

But New Orleans was where Hope had grown up. Sure, she had her sad memories there too, such as the loss of her parents and her dearest uncle Elijah, but at least she knew places there and could comfortably shift back to her human form.

Was it possible to have a new beginning in a familiar place? Hope was starting to believe so.

The wolf and the girl had stopped in front of a large house in the French Quarter. It was the house where Hope had lived for the longest. It stood at three floors and had a majestic front yard. Both Hope and Renesmee were surprised to find the door unlocked. So someone had to be in the house?

The wolf turned to the hybrid and looked at her for a long time before moving its gaze to the seating area as if it wanted to tell her to not be shy and to take a seat. It went up the stairs to the next floor. It had a plan.

Renesmee sat down and patiently waited. She wondered what was going on and why had Hope gone away. For sure she wasn't abandoning her, she was still on the property, But was she going to go and warn the residents of the house that she was there with a friend?

Or what if she had gone to shift into her human form?

When the animal came back, it was holding clothing items in its mouth and Renesmee immediately understood what was going to happen, as her eyes widened.