Chapter Fifteen

You are the one and only you - Nik Kershaw

--------

Fai P.O.V

Two weeks pass and it's quiet at the Castle. No sound of life. And no word from the King. The staff stays quiet and it is just a routine of eating, reading, and socializing. I couldn't leave as I planned, apparently, we are stuck here until the killer is caught. For a while, I had a guard but after a few days, he left.

One morning as I was living in my room to go to the garden. To my surprise, his majesty and the guard are standing in the hallway, outside of Savinah's door.

Oh, no.

"What happened?" I whispered to the person closest to me, Betty.

"Willow found Savinah bloody, she's been stabbed." She says, tears in her eyes.

"How did the guards not notice?"

"They went for a quick break for food, but they were outside the hall so the King concluded that one of us is the suspect," Betty says and I look at her in shock.

How could anyone here do this?

"Fai is the likely suspect out of all of this," Reyna says out loud making me look up at her while the King, guard, and girls look at me. "She was there in the room during the poisoning and barely ate, and she is the only one without a guard. She could have gotten a knife to stab Savinah."

"I didn't, I swear," I say looking at the King with pleading eyes. I hope he believes me, it's not my fault I do not have a guard. All I did my whole stay here is read and take walks.

He doesn't acknowledge me but instead, looks at the guards. "Why does she not have a guard?"

No one dares to answer the King. He looks at me enraged and tells me to follow him. I did. I was taken to the King's library. After walking in, he closes the door behind him and locks it.

He doesn't believe I did it, right?

"Did you do it?" He asks, and I look at him in shock.

"No, I did not, I swear your majesty." I started to rant but stopped when he said nothing and just stared at me.

"Your majesty?" I called out several times. After the tenth call, he finally speaks.

"Okay, I believe you."

That fast?

A sigh of relief comes through me. It's silent and I start to feel awkward with the way the King keeps looking at me. Maybe it's a trap, maybe he is just waiting for someone to come and take me away and be tried for murder.

"May I kiss you?" I start to cough uncontrollably with the words that come out of the King's mouth. I probably heard him wrong. His majesty did not just ask to kiss me.

"I'm sorry?" I probably heard him wrong.

"Your lips are just so inviting and I'm asking permission to taste them." His voice is hoarse and silent. I look at him, his face still blank but his eyes filled with different emotions. Hunger, Determination, Sadness?

Before I knew it, the palm of my hand connected to his face. The sound of the ripples through the library. Still filled with adrenaline, I ignore the shocked look on his face and the consequences of what I have done and fall into a rant.

"You take me to a ball. Ignore me for most of the night, then when we finally got to communicate and all of the misunderstandings between us were cleared, I don't hear from you for two weeks," I start. "You make a big deal about not wanting a Queen and firing your staff for going behind your back. Bring me here after one of the girls got murdered and they said I did, and have the audacity to ask to kiss me? I'm not here to be your concubine, your majesty."

He takes his hand out of his face, and I see my handprint. Bright and red. I opened my mouth to apologize after I fully realize who I was speaking to but no words came out.

"I apologize for my strange behavior Fai. I have my reasons." He says looking at me. I say nothing, waiting for him to continue, trying to not fall when my name came out of his mouth.

"It was my parents' death anniversary," He starts. "It's a very hard time for me, and I tend to let that darkness take over me for months on time. Wishing I was in their place."

My heart breaks, I was so busy with my own feelings toward him. I didn't notice the sadness and emptiness in his eyes. How could I have been so selfish?

"I'm sorry your Majesty," I said bowing down. "I deserve any punishment coming my way for such disrespect."

The next thing I know, two hands are wrapped around my waist and I am seated on a desk. I look at him, his eyes although filled with sadness had something else in them. He steps in between my thighs. His hand reaches for one of my curls.

"May I?"

I nod and he plays with a strand, looking at me lost in thought.

"Your majesty..."

"I never wanted a Queen. Never thought I deserved love in my life. But somehow, with you Ms. Fai, I feel all kinds of emotions, the most important one being trust. I just can't help myself telling you everything, the nightmares, the darkness inside of me, the way I don't feel deserving of everything I have in my life."

I stay quiet.

"I don't want you to be a Concubine Fai. A selfish part of me wants to be happy. Wants to bring you to my side because you're the only light in this dark mess I am in. I know I don't deserve it, and I shouldn't be asking you such things." He takes a deep breath. I still stay silent, with too many things to say and no way to say them.

"I give you my word as King Fai, only you have this much control over me. With just a smile, with just a look into your eyes, I am content and ready to get on my knees to please you. Now with your permission, may I please kiss you?"

I touched the cheek I had slapped. With no words, I nod. His lips crashed into mine within seconds.