002 ||Flashbacks||

[Joel's POV]

[Joel's POV]

Being one of the only single people in the bunker has its perks too.

I get to hang out with Mav1s. Of course, she's not much for conversation anymore. Her core battery's shot, just like every other Mav1s, I'd imagine. Actually never seen a working one.
Everyone was asleep so I decided to get some target practice in.

Sure wish you were here, Aimee... I'd love for you to meet everyone. Maybe we could do a little target practice together, it's kind of my thing.

I shot the arrow and it hit Mav1s.

"Sorry, Mav1s," I muttered, readjusting the crossbow, getting ready to try again.

"Wow, I knew you were bad but this proves it," I heard Y/n behind me.

"Do you ever let me have a moment of glory?" I turned to face her, putting my arms up and flopping them back down to my sides.

"You hit Mav1s, I wouldn't consider this a moment of glory," she laughed. I rolled my eyes. "Here," she held out her hand for me to give her the crossbow. She held the bow so it was just below eye level and shot.

It hit the direct middle of the target. And, just for reference, Mav1s was only a foot away from the target.

"That is a moment of glory," she looked back, mocking me.

Then there was a loud thud. And the lights started flashing. I looked around the room, trying to find the source of the noise.

Without any warning, Y/n shoved me aside to grab a knife and crossbow from the shelf and run to the main room, not bothering to tell me what was going on.

[Y/n's POV]

"Hustle, hustle people. We gotta move," Connor said.

I was putting my backpack on when Joel came running into the room with all of our weapons, I had grabbed mine prior.

"Guys! Guys! I got the weapons," everyone hurriedly grabbed theirs and Joel walked over to me.

"I already grabbed mine, dipshit," I told him.

"Right," Joel awkwardly answered."What happened?" He asked as I started to walk off.

"We've been breached," I answered "and stay here," I told

"Breached? Like inside the bunker?" Joel panicked.

"That's what breached means, dummy," I said. I walked away and he, rather annoyingly, followed me.

"Anna Lucia, Y/n and I will engage. Anderson and Tim, flank us."

"Flank 'em, yeah, okay. Where do you guys need me? The rear or-"

"I thought we were past this, Joel," Tim spoke,

"Past what? You need help, I can help! Let me help!" Joel protested.

"Are you gonna make me say it?" I asked, looking at Tim through my eyebrows.

"Say what?" Joel asked.

"You can't handle it, Joel." I looked over at the brunette.

"You're shook,"

"Okay, yes, so you guys don't get scared ever?" Joel asked

"We get scared," Conner said

"We all get scared Joel but you get really scared," Tim answered, finished Conners statement. Honestly, Joel, lay off.

"We're not trying to make you feel bad,"

"We love you, Joel,"

"Debatable," I muttered.

"But your unsafe," Connor continued.

"You're a liability,"

"Even on supply runs," I said. We had rehearsed this many times before.

"Okay, why did that speech feel so rehearsed?" Joel asked,

The creature then made another shrieking noise. I was terrified but kept a straight face nonetheless. I couldn't let my guard down...not again.

"Conner?" I looked down at the tablet, noticing the breached getting close to the bunker.

"Alright, 30 meters out, let's move." He said.

We opened the vent door to the tunnels as Connor and Kala kissed each other goodbye.

I missed Tom's kisses...

I shook the feeling away and entered the tunnel.

We were all slowly walking through the tunnels on high alert.

We then came face to face with a large ant. Or so it looked. It then leaped forward and caught someone, I couldn't tell who's head was bitten off. Nor did I have time to feel sad. Feelings could wait. At least, sad feelings could. I was terrified. As the bug started to chase us, I shot it.

Many arrows later, the beast had died.

———

I walked back into the bunker, sweating and breathless and saw another giant ant standing above a frozen Joel. Joel has a severe freezing problem.

Just as it started to open its mouth, I shot ant in the heart. I sighed in relief. A survivors work is never done.

"Did I shoot it, or did you ?" Joel asked me.

"What do you think?!" I spat.

"You," he answered.

7 Years Ago

Tom and I were sitting under a large willow tree overlooking Fairfield.

He had brought me on a picnic date. It wasn't our first, we had been dating for over a year now. He was a transfer student from London, England.

"Just try one," he smiled, his face full of doughnuts. I opened my mouth as he popped one of the doughnuts in. I immediately spat it out and laughed. When we were together, laughter seemed to be our default.

"That's disgusting," I coughed out.

"How can an American girl, not like doughnuts. It just, it doesn't make sense," Tom laughed. I then noticed a bit of icing on the side of his lip. I reached my hand forward and whipped the side of his face.

"There, all gone," I smiled at him.

"You know, you couldn't have just done this," Tom leaned forward and lingered a kiss on my lips. He pulled away and we were just about nose to nose. He started playing with the ruffles on the end of my shirt. Making me laugh once again.

"Yeah, I could have," I looked into his chocolate brown eyes that were covered by his curly brown hair. I placed my hand on his face and pushed the hair back, but it just flopped back in front of his eyes. Concealing them for a second time.

Our lips then joined again and moved against each other roughly and passionately. I felt him bring his large hand to my lower back and I put mine around his neck, pulling him closer to me as if that was even possible.

Tom then slipped his tongue into my mouth, not even asking for permission.

I pulled away softly. And spoke.

"This has been the best summer of my life,"

"Me too," Tim said, out of breath. We were about to kiss again but we're interrupted by loud sirens. Tom and I looked at where it was coming from and saw rockets falling from the sky.

"That's not good," Toms's accented voice shook.

"We need to go," I said. My voice just above a whisper.