018 ||Poison Berries||

[Y/n's POV]

[Y/n's POV]

We were all sitting around the fire, listening to Cap's ever so amusing stories.

Joel had previously told me that Aimee had found someone new, he died, unfortunately. But Joel didn't seem disappointed or upset, he seemed... Happy almost.

Not that the man had died. That would just be cruel.

"Four years post-Agatha. HMS Brisbane. First watch. I was the first person to see it coming over the wall. A giant lizard, two stories high." Everyone gasped, I failed to see how this bimbo could amuse people, even if they were all at least 70. "I sounded the alarm. Too late. We lost 1,032 souls that night. Those of us who survived took to the sea. I mean, make no mistake. We have lost the war. Right? There is no place for mankind on land. But out there, there we got a chance." He told the colony.

"I've got a-- sorry, just got a question." Joel cleared his throat. "Y/n and I survived seven days on the surface, and... If I can do it literally anyone can."

"He's not wrong," I added, taking a sip of my drink.

"Seven days on the surface? I'm impressed." Cap agreed.

"So maybe we still have a chance... to fight, and win our world back," Joel told the colony. 

"I have a plan. And if you have a better one, mate, I'm all ears," Cap put Joel on the spot, in a creepy way. "And I will stand by your side,"

"You wanna hear me- you wanna hear my plan? It's uh-just..." he trailed. "I got nothing," Joel said, defeated.

"Hey, that's on me. I didn't mean to put you on the spot, mate. It's, well- Aimee tells me you make a mean minestrone, and you're great on the radio. Lord knows I need a comms expert, someone to teach Rocko how to cook," he pointed to me.

I rolled my eyes. Joel was stronger now, he didn't need to just be the kitchen boy.

"Do you guys have a radio I can use? I wanna contact my colony," Joel asked.

Joel walked off towards the radio room. I decided to give him some time. I now wanted to go back to that hell hole, I wanted to see my friends. My family.

After about ten more minutes of mindlessly staring at the fire, I walked to where Joel had gone.

"And oh, we met a Mav1s! We talked to a real-life Mav1s!" Joel beamed.

"No way! What's she like?" I recognized Kala's voice. I ran into the room and greeted everyone.

"Hey, guys," I smiled.

"Y/n! You're okay!" Ava gasped.

"As best as I can be with Joel," I smiled at him. He grinned back.

"I'll give you a minute," He whispered.

I nodded, I was so happy to hear the voices of my colony again.

[Joel's POV]

I decided to give Y/n a few minutes with our colony, she deserved it. She had gotten so close with everyone. It must've been hard to leave, not knowing whether or not she'd ever go back.

I was going to leave the room completely, but I heard Kala ask Y/n a strange question.

"So, has anyone sparked your interest in the colony?" Y/n giggled.

"No, they're all like 70 or something," She replied. "But..."

"But?" Ava questioned.

She took a big breath before speaking, I couldn't help but feel jealous,

"I think I might, might, be in love with Joel," What? Holy shit. Shit. Shit. Really? She's in love with me? I had so many questions, I knew I loved her, but now I know that she feels the same.

I think she won the tug-of-war game.

No, I know she won.

Should I tell her how I feel?

The radio started cutting out, the voices were becoming muffled.

"Guys?" Y/n questioned. I walked back into the room, I didn't realize that I was shaking. The radio then cut out, and it was silent. I could feel a tear go down my face.

"Y/n?" I asked. She turned around, surprised that I was still there.

"Hey," she said. I grabbed a stool from beside her and sat on it, facing her.

"Why did you come back for me?" I asked. "You said you had nothing here, at Jenner Beach,"

"I guess I realized I had something on the way," she looked down and back up at me, sheepishly. "You." She smiled shyly. "I heard you scream, loud, and I just..." She trailed off. I grabbed her hand that was resting on the table. "You know when you have a compass and magnets make it go all... wonky? I felt like that, going with Clyde and Minnow. But with you, I didn't feel like I was going haywire, I felt like I was always going to the right destination. So, I didn't have anything here, but I do now," She told me.  I started to lean in, I was going to kiss her. But I didn't, she cut me off.

"Joel, give me your sketchbook," She commanded,

"Why?" I asked.

"The berries, who gave those to you?" She pointed to the plate Cap gave me.

"Cap," Oh no, they were the poisonous berries. Shit.

"That lying son of a bitch,"

~~~~~~

Updated on March 30, 2023