─⌖❖ 07

Everything fit together except for one small thing. Since this incident, Roman was no longer in the condition to walk properly, let alone to carry a person, be it still a child. Those days were over. On good days, the man could walk just twenty meters. Slowly. On bad, not ten. How then would Simon Roman be able to murder and exhibit two grown people?

"Hey," a woman had opened the door to Page's office, poked her head through, and gestured with a motion to come along, "It's time. Come on."

"This week is getting worse by the day," quite automatically Page hung his head, closed his eyes before, and gently slapped Billy's upper arm with the file, "If you want to experience a bunch of over-the-top happy people that almost make you want to puke, come along. It's going to be unbelievably awesome."

You'd think in times and days like these, a change of pace would be nice. Normally it would be, but the occasion, made it hard.

"If I could just get your attention for a moment, you'll have to put up with me for a very short time. I just want to say a few words for the occasion, because it's not too often in our job that there's a reason to rejoice and celebrate, and so, congratulations from the bottom of my heart to two colleagues," at this Ryan looked first at a woman, then at the man next to her and gestured to the woman with a hand gesture, "When you find the right one, you know it. You might not even be looking, but then all of a sudden she's standing in front of you. And she's an absolute bull's eye. There are no more excuses and you have to let her.... you just have to let her into your heart. Even if you didn't think that was possible anymore. And everything changes. Where there was cold before, there is now warmth. Where there was darkness, now there is light. When you find a love like that, you have to hold on to it. And never let go."

"Bullshit.", Page angrily slammed the file against Billy's chest and left the room without another word.

What a hypocritical crock of shit her father's words were. So love comes unexpectedly, huh? One should never let go of it then, yes? Hold on to it. Almost certainly, this did not apply to Page. That much was certain. For everyone else, however, it did.

Time and again Page got to hear from her father why she hadn't seen it, but the same question, she could also ask. Namely, why didn't Ryan see it in his son? In his own flesh and blood. Shouldn't one assume that a highly trained FBI agent should see when his own son goes off the rails?