one

"Kiara Moussa and Emre Ersoy...now I have high hopes for this partnership. And I think it would be a great idea for you two to take on Bollywood films...," Ms. Monroe trailed with an excited smile on her face as she nodded. "Oh, I just love all that singing and dancing in those movies. And the love stories, Gosh...so much passion, so many feelings; it's a kick to the gut most times," she continued gushing all misty eyed.

Kiara with big round eyes quickly glanced back at Emre and stifled a laugh at the disgusted look on his face. She quickly raised her hand, "Ms Monroe, Emre is of Turkish Ancestry. Not the Indian subcontinent...not where Bollywood is from...," she said chirpily, as she pushed her round glasses back up her nose.

"I'm sorry, what?" Ms Monroe said, her face falling immediately as she blinked confused. She watched as Ms Monroe nervously wiped her hands on the cloth of her burgundy slacks. She nervously tucked her dark blonde hair behind her ear before saying, "I...uhm...didn't realise that..."

"Well," Oliver drawled, "if you did put them together just because you thought they were both connected to the Indian Sub-Continent...well, there is a word for that, isn't there Ms. Monroe?" Oliver said with exaggerated innocence. 

Kiara covered her mouth with her hands, as she tried to hide her laughter. She watched as Ms Monroe's fair skin flushed red, her plum painted lips pressed into a thin line, her brown eyes darting between Kiara and Emre.

"Racist," came Rachel's voice from the front. "The word is racist," she repeated haughtily, rolling her eyes as she flicked her long blonde hair back.

There were times that Kiara hated high school with all her heart but today, she absolutely loved it. Even though she wasn't particularly close to Rachel and Oliver, she loved the fact that they were brave enough to speak up. Especially since they fit the bill of the typical American high school seniors; blonde hair, light eyes, fair, Ivy-League shoo ins.

Kiara could say that she was lucky; growing up in New York she was exposed to all sorts of ethnicities from all over the world. She never felt weird or odd, even though many tried to single her out simply based on her looks. Her dark, almost jet-black hair contrasted harshly with her fair skin. She was one of those Desis that didn't tan, she burned under the sun. Her thick brows which she loved from before the Delavignes of the world made trendy, framed her large espresso coloured eyes. While her nose, a typical Pakistani nose- high bridged and sharp, had an aristocratic tilt to it; her lips seemed to be permanently upturned, as though there was something constantly amusing her. Yes, she was Pakistani, she looked it, and she was proud of it. But really, expecting her to do a review of Bollywood for History class? She rolled her eyes as she looked at her books, a smile still tugging at her lips.

She was so used to the stereotyping, to the putting her in a box, that she just accepted it. Not to mention she played the role of overachiever so well that no one saw the effort and the work she put in anymore.

Her fingers started tapping a silent tune as she rested her wrist on her desk. She watched her fingers tap the desk as her ears heard the notes that she was playing.

"Ms. Monroe, does this mean that you paired Vin and I together because we are both Italian?" Mila, Kiara's best friend asked incredulous. The expression of her face gave away that she was geared up for an argument. Something which all teachers surreptitiously tried to avoid with Mila.

"What, no...no..." Ms Monroe stuttered, a nervous smile on her lips. "I was just putting the idea out there for Kiara and Emre," she said nervously.