fourteen

Emre was opened mouthed in awe. That was all he was feeling as he watched Kiara caress the ivory keys and sounds so mouthwatering resonated in the hall. Her face while serene was in complete opposite of her fingers that looked like they were skipping from one note to another at lighting speed, no time for rests or intervals in between.

He was still overwhelmed with the fact that she had wanted him there. Her. That girl. The Kiara Moussa. The girl that he had been crushing on since she first spoke to him when he was 11 years old had invited him to something that was important to her.

Her. That girl. The same Kiara Moussa had answered all his calls at night and mumbled lazy hellos and whispered sleepy good nights.

Her. That girl. The only girl, that made him feel winded. Out of breath.

And the way she played the piano, with outmost concentration and care left him breathless as well. He couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that she had come to school for weeks with bruised knuckles for not playing the piano properly. How was that even possible when she was injecting her emotions into something that although was a classic, was a dead piece of music without the right musician?

How could her mother and her teacher not see how beautiful and gifted Kiara truly is? That was the worst part; why was Kiara even talking to him as much as she did? He was not part of her circle, her community, nothing. Max's words from weeks ago suddenly blared in his ears like a warning sound, 'people like her call going out with people like us slumming it'. Here, in this hall surrounded by people who were sitting in clothes that cost as much as he earned in three months, he felt out of place. He didn't belong here.

He gritted his teeth and closed his eyes, letting the music wash over him. The grip on the bouquet of peonies in his lap tightening, the paper crinkling in his grip as he tried to calm himself with deep breaths. Her performance ended in thunderous applause, and he felt his hands automatically raise, a new sound drowned in the sea of others.

He shifted uncomfortably in his seat, the grey suit he had on felt itchy against his skin and the white shirt underneath was suddenly too tight. He kept taking deep breaths his eyes roaming around the hall as he took in the sight if Kiara's parents. Mr. Moussa looked every bit the proud father, pride clear on his face as he clapped while looking at his daughter who was bowing on stage with rapt attention while her mother...was checking her phone. He gritted his jaw, as he shifted in his seat again and received a swift swat to his arm.

Mila glared at him with narrowed eyes and shushed him. Nodding he kept his eyes on Kiara and Kiara alone, directing all his thoughts towards her and nothing else.

Her black hair was tied in half a ponytail, with the rest cascading down her back in soft, pretty waves. She had on a capped sleeved white dress that cinched at the waist and flared all the way down to her mid calves. She had paired it with nude pumps which made her look taller than he knew she was. He chuckled lowly as she waved awkwardly at the audience before abruptly turning around and almost running off stage. He ruffled his hair, the smile never fading from his lips as the image of Kiara stayed in his mind.

"For fuck's sake skaterboy, calm your tits. She'll be out soon," Mila grumbled annoyed at Emre's fidgeting and pacing, as she casually scrolled through TikTok.