twenty two

"Hey, thank you for texting me and meeting me here. I'm sorry I ran a bit late. Louis wouldn't stop telling everyone that I went to school with you and stuff," Mila huffed, digging through her bag for her keys, and buzzed them through the door.

"And that's a pretty good disguise you got going on there," she said as she surveyed the light wash denim jacket and jeans, with a plaid shirt underneath. He had on brown boots, and a cotton keffiyeh wound around his neck, effectively hiding parts of his chin. The oversized sunglasses and baseball hat hid his easily identifiable green eyes and wavy chestnut hair.

"Where are we?" he finally said lowly he took of his sunglasses and tucked it into his denim jacket rubbing his eyes tiredly; he didn't get much sleep last night, interrupting Mila as she continued talking about the night before and how amazing the concert was. And how she was so happy for the band and their success while they climbed up the three flights of stairs of the apartment building.

Pausing at a door, she looked at him with a confused face, "I thought you said you wanted to meet Kiara. That's what we're doing." She inserted the key and twisted it unlock the door.

"Wait...wait...wait...This is Kiara's place? Are you sure we can just barge in like this? What if Ahad...," he trailed, trying to read Mila's face as confusion tore through him as she frowned.

Mila pushed the door open making a face of bewilderment, "Why would Ahad-"

"Ahad! No! Stop!" both Mila and Emre froze at the high-pitched screech that accosted them. Anger and a hint of panic evident in the voice.

"AHAD!" This time the panic rang clearer making Mila dropped her bag on the floor with a thump and that noise spurred them both to race through the apartment.

Ahad had grabbed Kiara by the front of her orange and purple printed kurta, his right hand fisted at the collar of her top while his left hand yanked her head backward roughly. Kiara struggled against his grip, as she pushed and shoved at Ahad's chest, her hands wrapped in her wrist brace.

"How long has it been going on? How long have you been seeing him behind my back?" he hissed venomously.

"Ahad," Mila's voice rang clearly and calmly through the apartment, "let go of Kiara. Let go of Kiara, now."

Instead of letting go, he dragged Kiara closer to him. Anger clouding over every rationale thought.

"Your baby is crying for you Ahad," Mila tried again, her voice now trembling in fear. It was as though Mila had said it and it was true. Suddenly Emre could hear the loud screams of a baby over the pounding of his heart from somewhere in the living room. He watched Ahad and clenched his knuckles again from where he stood next to Mila. He was surprised to find himself staring down into Ahad's manic eyes in the next second. He didn't know how or when he had wrenched Kiara away from Ahad's grip but there he stood, staring Ahad down while Kiara rushed behind him and picked up the screaming baby.

"So, you're here huh? Coming to fuck her behind my back huh?" Ahad sneered and Emre heard Kiara inhale sharply behind him. Emre kept his mouth shut, not wanting to anger a clearly aggravated Ahad. His priority was Kiara's safety.

"You need to go home, Ahad," Mila said as she helped soothe the baby in Kiara's arms. "You are married and have a child, for fuck's sake. When are you going to stop controlling Kiara's life?" Emre frowned at the words that sounded out in Mila's voice. Grinding his teeth, he schooled his face into a blank expression.