25 or 6 to 4

Chapter 4

Amity chuckled when she walked into class the next day. Luz was sitting with her face down on the table, fast asleep. Mrs. Halle wasn't saying anything about it, even though Luz was sleeping right in front of her. They were the only ones there, as school didn't start for another fifteen minutes. Amity softly tapped Luz's shoulder with the intention to wake her without freaking her out. Luz mumbled something inaudible in her sleep and her eyebrows scrunched slightly.

Cute, Amity thought. Then her face flushed. No, I shouldn't be thinking that, I just met her yesterday. Luz finally stirred and slowly opened her eyes. When she caught sight of Amity standing there, her eyes widened.

"Hey there, Luz. Tired much?" In response, Luz laid her head back down on the table and shut her eyes. Amity rolled her eyes. "Come on, you can't be that tired." Luz reached for her whiteboard. Yes I can. Amity snorted and sat down. Luz erased the board and started to write again. But as she was doing so, she winced a little and Amity caught a glimpse of her right hand. It was wrapped in bandages, her breathing was also a little erratic. She wasn't like that yesterday. Amity decided to let it slide for now, as she was enjoying her conversation with Luz, who slid her whiteboard over. How are you today? Amity thought for a moment.

"I'm doing alright. Boscha, Willow, and Gus had a practice for their band last night, so that was fun to go to." She looked at Luz, whose eyes had lit up a little at the mention of her friends being in a band. She grabbed her board again. They're in a band? What do they play? Amity smiled a little at the excitement.

"Well, Boscha plays bass guitar, Willow plays keyboard, and Gus plays the drums, my siblings Edric and Emira use technology to make different backup instruments, like synthesizers and trumpets. Then there's this girl Skara who plays lead guitar and sings." Luz nodded, Amity thought she saw a small look of disappointment cross her features. But it passed as quickly as it came. What are they practicing for? She looked at Amity curiously.

"Oh, it's just this school competition. They've been working really hard. You can come with me to watch them practice after school today." Luz smiled, it was a nice sight. Amity's face went a little red as the girl wrote, Okay, I just need the address.

"Here, give me your phone." Amity said. Luz looked at her suspiciously before she fished in her pocket, pulling out a really beat up and old version of a smartphone. Its screen was shattered. Amity squinted at the small screen and quickly added herself as a contact. She sent herself a text message saying whose number it was and handed the other girl her phone back. Students started to file into the room, and Luz cast her eyes down to the floor, avoiding eye contact with everyone. Many people greeted Amity, with her being friendly back. They would cast weird glances at Luz, but continued on their way.

Boscha came into the room at the last second, earning her a raised eyebrow from Mrs. Halle. Luz picked her head up again once she had determined that she was safe. Class began, but Amity's mind was elsewhere, looking forward to spending time with the silent girl sitting next to her.

:::::::::::::::::::

When the final bell rang, signaling the end of the school day. Amity quickly packed up her things, pulled on her jacket, and rushed out to the parking lot. It was November, so the weather was pretty cold. Yesterday's weather had been strange, but now things were back to normal. She made her way over to her car, a small silver Audi. Hopping into the driver's seat, she adjusted her mirrors, and caught sight of Luz. She was out there with no jacket, just her hoodie. Was she planning on walking the three miles to Boscha's house? It seemed like that was what she had planned. But that wasn't what Amity had in mind. She quickly got out of her car and called out.

"Hey, Luz!" The girl flinched visibly and turned around. She was clutching at her arm. Amity beckoned her over. "Do you need a ride? It's way too cold to be walking." Luz looked scared for a moment, scanning Amity's face, as though she thought that she was being lied to, like Amity was going to hurt her. Jeez, what has she been through? Amity thought to herself. After a moment of scanning, Luz couldn't seem to find anything sketchy about Amity's offer and nodded, if hesitantly.

"Great, hop in!" Amity said. Luz nervously walked around to the passenger side of the Audi and got inside. Amity got back into her seat, and noticed that Luz had already buckled her seatbelt. She pulled her hood down. Her short brown hair was ruffled and going in a million different directions, it looked as though she hadn't bothered to comb it this morning. Amity liked it though, it looked soft. Stop thinking like that!

The car ride was completely silent. Amity's concern came back as she once again noticed Luz's abnormal breathing, but she still said nothing. When they made it to Boscha's place, Luz's eyes widened. It was a pretty nice house. With it's Victorian-looking architecture and large windows, it was huge. The others' cars were already here, with the exception of Gus, because he couldn't drive yet. Amity parked and they made their way to the front door. Amity didn't even knock, she just went inside. Luz nervously followed.

They went into the basement and they were immediately hit with the sound of loud music. Amity looked over and noticed Luz wasn't covering her ears or flinching. She instead excitedly ran down the stairs. The basement housed a huge amount of musical instruments and equipment. Luz's eyes were shining with excitement. The others were setting up their instruments when they saw the two of them. Edric and Emira were the first ones to introduce themselves.

"Hey!" They both said, but Luz didn't respond. She was too enraptured by her surroundings. Amity giggled slightly. After a second, Luz looked up and saw the twins' faces very close to her. She jumped in fear. Emira looked her up and down, then nodded approvingly at Amity.

"Nice going, Mittens." She said. "You got yourself a cutie." Amity's face flushed a dark red, while Luz just looked confused. The girl looked around the room, still taking everything in.

"Hey, do you talk?" Skara asked bluntly. Luz turned around to look at her and the others, who also seemed curious. Luz grabbed her whiteboard and marker from her satchel and wrote, No, I'm not ready. I don't know any of you. Amity's face took on a look of concern. The others seemed okay with this answer, and carried on with their practice, Amity and Luz looking on.

Skara started off with a guitar riff, then Gus came in quickly on the drums. Edric and Emira used their synthesizers to create the sounds of horns while Willow pounded on her keys. Boscha was there the whole time with the bass. Then Skara started to sing.

::::::::::::::::

Waiting for the break of day

Searching for something to say

Flashing lights against the sky

Giving up, I close my eyes

Sitting cross-legged on the floor

Twenty five or 6 to 4

Staring blindly into space

Getting up to splash my face

Wanting just to stay awake

Wondering how much I can take

Should I try to do some more?

Twenty five or 6 to 4, oh yeah!

Then Skara was soloing on the guitar. Damn, they were good. Being able to play 25 or 6 to 4 by Chicago was an amazing achievement. Luz was in awe.

Feeling like I ought to sleep

Spinning room is sinking deep

Searching for something to say

Waiting for the break of day, woo-oooh

Twenty five or 6 to 4

Twenty five or 6 to 4, alright

The horns ended the song, and Luz found herself applauding along with Amity. Maybe if these people were trustworthy, she could show them her music. She looked at the green-haired girl next to her. Maybe she could try to make some new friends, but only time would tell.