Better Together

Chapter 19

Amity had Luz stay in the guest room that night. After everyone left and she showed Luz the room, Amity told her that she was right down the hall if there was an emergency. Luz took off her ratty sneakers and collapsed on the bed, feeling utterly exhausted. It was probably the most comfortable mattress she had ever used. She stared at the ceiling, just contemplating everything that had happened to her today. Had she really kissed Amity Blight? Were they dating now? Luz had no idea. Amity hadn't said anything about it since they had come back downstairs. Luz sighed and rolled onto her side. She eventually fell asleep, but it was anything but restful.

Luz stood across the street from her apartment building. The weather was cloudy and cold. The wind was blowing fast, tousling her hair. Luz slowly made her way to the entrance, and caught sight of some figures in the distance. Probably Jared and his friends. The figures approached. Luz tried to run, but her feet were stuck to the ground. As they got closer, Luz realized that it wasn't Jared leading the group of people...

It was Amity.

Behind her walked Boscha, Willow, and Gus. Luz sighed in relief. But Amity and their friends shook their heads sadly.

"Luz," Amity said, her voice laced with disappointment, breaking Luz's heart. "Why would you try to be friends with us when you know that you'll never belong?" Luz's eyes filled with tears and she waved her hands in front of her, trying to speak, to reason with Amity somehow. But no words came out, her throat was sealed. Suddenly, another person came up behind the group, Jared. Luz gasped. Amity and the others parted to let him through. He smirked.

"Hey, Noceda. Looks like I was right. She would never want to put up with y OU r disgusting presence." He pulled out a knife as Amity looked on. Luz attempted to run again, but she was still stuck. Jared lunged forward and attacked her. Luz finally managed to let out a scream of fear. He grinned maliciously and spoke her name.

"Luz."

"Luz." Wait.

"Luz! Wake up!"

Luz's eyes snapped open. And she sat up, gasping for breath. Amity was holding onto her shoulders. Tears were streaming down Luz's face. Amity gazed at Luz, her golden eyes full of worry.

"You were screaming and pulling at your hair. The twins came to get me when they saw. Luz, what happened?" Luz got to her feet quickly, and ran out the door.

"Luz!" Amity called out. But Luz just kept going. She ran out of the house and down the long driveway.

::::::::::::::::::::
Luz had barely made it to the front gates before Amity caught her sleeve. She turned Luz to her.

"Luz, what is going on?" Luz stared at her, her eyes frantic. All of a sudden she threw her arms around Amity's neck. She buried her face into her shoulder, and started to sob. Amity wrapped her arms around Luz, and rubbed her back soothingly.

"I-I had a n-nightmare." Luz gasped out. Amity's eyes softened.

"Do you want to tell me about it?" Luz shook her head.

"No, but I'll tell you." She proceeded to tell Amity about her dream. As she explained, Amity's eyes also filled with tears. She held Luz tighter. By the time Luz finished, she was shivering in the frigid December air. Amity slowly led her back up the driveway into the house. They went up to Amity's room, and Luz sat on the floor, hugging her knees into her chest. Amity sat down next to her and brushed the hair out of Luz's eyes.

"I won't leave you." She breathed, and kissed Luz's temple. "You deserve kindness." She kissed her nose. Luz looked at her, puzzlement in her eyes. Amity put their foreheads together and kissed Luz softly on the lips.

"You are loved." She muttered into the kiss. Tears ran down Luz's face as she cupped Amity's cheek with her left hand. The purple haired girl leaned into the Latina's touch and covered her hand with her own. They separated, and Luz pulled her closer, resting her head on top of Amity's.

"This is so new to me," She whispered. "That someone as amazing as you would want someone as broken as me."

"You're not broken." Amity said, surprising Luz. "Cracked, maybe. But not broken. We all have our cracks, you are not alone." She pulled away from Luz, but before she could get up, Luz pulled her into another kiss. This one was different from the others, much more emotionally charged. Amity closed her eyes. Her heart was pounding when they parted. Luz suddenly stood up and held her hand out to Amity.

"Come on, I want to play you something." The two of them went back outside to Amity's car and Luz grabbed her guitar from the trunk. The two of them sat on the hood as Luz started to strum.

There's no combination of words I could put on the back of a postcard
No song that I could sing, but I can try for your heart
Our dreams, and they are made out of real things
Like a shoe box of photographs
With sepia-toned loving

Love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart
Like why are we here? And where do we go?
And how come it's so hard?
It's not always easy and
Sometimes life can be deceiving
I'll tell you one thing, it's always better when we're together

Mmm, it's always better when we're together
Yeah, we'll look at the stars when we're together
Well, it's always better when we're together
Yeah, it's always better when we're together

And all of these moments
Just might find their way into my dreams tonight
But I know that they'll be gone
When the morning light sings
Or brings new things
For tomorrow night you see
That they'll be gone too
Too many things I have to do

But if all of these dreams might find their way
Into my day to day scene
I'd be under the impression
I was somewhere in between
With only two
Just me and you
Not so many things we got to do
Or places we got to be
We'll sit beneath the mango tree now

Yeah, it's always better when we're together
Mmm, we're somewhere in between together
Well, it's always better when we're together
Yeah, it's always better when we're together

I believe in memories
They look so, so pretty when I sleep
Hey now and, and when I wake up
You look so pretty sleeping next to me

But there is not enough time
And there is no, no song I could sing
And there is no combination of words I could say
But I will still tell you one thing
We're better together

Luz had barely finished the song before Amity kissed her passionately. Afterwards, Luz was grinning like an idiot, looking lovestruck.

"Alright," Amity said. "We should probably go and get some sleep now."