You've Got a Friend

Warning: More swearing than usual in this chapter.

Chapter 15

Amity was angry. She knew that Matt was probably just trying to impress her so she would go out with him, but what he didn't realize was that acting like an ass disgusted her. Also, Amity wasn't even into guys, everyone at school knew that. As Mrs. Halle comforted Luz, Boscha and Willow turned back to Amity, concern lining their features. Matt was still sitting next to Amity, wearing a smug grin. The purple haired girl suddenly felt a wave of pure rage crash over her, and she smacked Matt across the face. Making everyone at the table flinch. Matt's head snapped to the side, and he grabbed his cheek. He glared angrily at Amity.

"What the fuck, Blight! Are you insane?"

"What the hell is wrong with you?! You are such an insensitive asshole! Luz is the sweetest and most innocent person I have ever met, and you have the audacity to insult her like that?! Calling her a 'crazy autistic girl' and bringing up something that was clearly upsetting to her? What did she do to you?" Amity took a deep breath, and calmed herself. Matt glared at her, his face bright red. But Amity's scowl seemed to scare him enough that he got out of his chair and left.

Amity turned back to Luz, who was hyperventilating again and twitching. Mrs. Halle was whispering to her reassuringly as she led her from the cafeteria. Amity looked around and noticed that people were staring at her.

"Um, Amity?" Boscha asked warily. "You alright? I don't think I've ever seen you get that intense before." Amity sighed and nodded.

"He's an ass." Boscha said, and Willow nodded in agreement. Gus looked really confused and started to ask Willow about what had just happened. The rest of the people from the lacrosse and soccer teams got up, leaving Amity and her close friends alone at their table. Boscha stood and moved to sit next to Amity, who could feel a headache starting. The pink haired girl could see this and reached into her friend's backpack. She pulled out a small bottle of Tylenol, and gave Amity three of the pills. Amity gave Boscha a grateful smile and swallowed them with a mouthful of water.

"Thanks, Bosch." She said. Boscha nodded and the two of them sat together silently, just listening to the commotion of the cafeteria around them.

::::::::::::::::::::

When the final bell rang, Amity felt her phone buzz.

Luz Noceda: Hey, can you meet me in the parking lot? There's some stuff I should probably tell you.

Amity assumed that Luz probably wanted to talk about what happened at lunch. She couldn't deny that she was a little curious about that, but the want to be there for Luz was what made her really want to come.

Amity Blight: Sure, np.

She found Luz sitting on a bench just outside the entrance to the school. Her knees were drawn into her chest and she had her arms wrapped around them. Amity sat down next to her, and Luz looked up.

"Hey," Amity said. " How're you doing?" Luz shrugged and shivered. "Come on, let's go talk in the car." She took Luz's hand and led her over to the Audi. Once they were inside, Amity reached up and rubbed Luz's back soothingly. To her surprise, Luz leaned into her touch and even placed her head on Amity's shoulder. Amity sucked in a breath as her heart started to race. Then Luz spoke.

"Do you think I'm a freak now?" Her voice was quiet, but thick with emotion. Amity felt her heart break for Luz. She wrapped her arms around her friend and Luz nuzzled her face into Amity's shoulder.

"Of course not, Luz. I could never think that about you." Luz nodded, then pulled back from their hug. She sighed, and Amity saw her playing with the loose threads on her sweater. Amity positioned herself so she was facing the quiet girl. Luz took a deep breath.

"I guess I should explain some stuff." She proceeded to tell Amity about her diagnoses, and how they affected her. She also told her about Glandus, Jared, and her parents. Amity gasped when Luz told her what Jared had said about her father.

"My dad died when I was twelve, and he did commit suicide. But my mom never told me how he did it. It still hurts to think about him." Luz stared down at her hands. She didn't cry. She actually changed to another topic, surprising Amity.

"I've never met anyone like you, Amity. You listen to me. You're patient and kind." Amity felt herself blush at that. Luz continued.

"But there's also stuff that confuses me." Amity tilted her head, curious. "When I'm around you, I get all these weird feelings, like my heart is about to leap into my throat. And my stomach gets all squirmy. I know that it means I like you as more than a friend, but I still don't know if you'll leave me too. Because I've never felt this way about anyone before, and it's scary." Amity couldn't believe what she was hearing. This was the most innocent way someone could ever confess. She smiled softly, and stopped Luz right there, by placing a hand on her cheek. She looked into Luz's deep brown eyes and spoke.

"Luz, I get it. I like you too, and it is scary when you don't know if someone will leave or not, but that's life. You never truly know if someone will leave or not, but they can be there for you. And as much as I like you, we do need to wait a little while, mostly because we only recently met. But that doesn't mean I can't do this." Amity leaned over and kissed Luz on the nose. Luz stared at Amity, a small smile on her face. Amity chuckled. She started the car, plugged her phone in, and selected a song she had been thinking about lately.

When you're down and troubled
And you need a helpin' hand
And nothin', whoa, nothin' is goin' right
Close your eyes and think of me
And soon I will be there
To brighten up even your darkest night

You just call out my name
And you know, wherever I am
I'll come runnin'
To see you again

Amity reached her hand over and intertwined her fingers with Luz's. Luz's thumb stroked across her knuckles, sending tingles up her arm.

Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there

You've got a friend

If the sky above you
Should turn dark and full of clouds
And that old north wind begins to blow
Keep your head together
And call my name out loud
Soon you'll hear me knockin' at your door

You just call out my name
And you know, wherever I am
I'll come runnin', runnin', yeah, yeah
To see you again

Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there, yes, I will

Ain't it good to know that you've got a friend
people can be so cold
They'll hurt you,l, and desert you
And take your soul if you let them
Oh, but don't you let them

You just call out my name
And you know, wherever I am
I'll come runnin', oh yes I will,
To see you again

Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there, yes, I will

You've got a friend
You've got a friend

Ain't it good to know you've got a friend
Ain't it good to know, ain't it good to know
You've got a friend

Oh, yeah, now, you've got a friend
Yeah baby, you've got a friend
Oh, yeah, you've got a friend

The song ended, and Luz had a funny expression on her face. It was somewhere between concentration and constipation. Amity couldn't help but laugh. Then Luz burst out of nowhere.

"I should learn how to play this song."