I'm Yours

Chapter 13

"Luz?"

"Gah!" Luz fell back, dropped her guitar, and toppled over the other side of her bed. Her injuries flared up and she groaned.

"Oh my god, Luz! I'm so sorry, are you okay?" Wait, was that Amity's voice? What was she doing in her apartment? Luz tried to sit up, but agonizing pain flared through her body, rendering her immobile. She heard Amity's footsteps approaching, then a pair of golden eyes peered over her bed. Luz's breath hitched in her throat as she took in Amity's new hair color and style. It framed her beautiful face perfectly. Amity tilted her head, and cleared her throat. Luz noticed that she had been staring.

"Luz," Amity said, her voice worried. "You look horrible! What the hell keeps happening to you? Don't tell me nothing, because it's clearly not." Luz once again tried to sit up, but couldn't. The pain was getting worse, and the anxiety of Amity appearing here randomly was extremely overwhelming. Suddenly, all of Luz's senses heightened, and she started hyperventilating. The wood grains on the floor was rough and felt weird against her hands, and her clothes were itchy. Her eyes started blinking uncontrollably and her hands clenched and unclenched into fists.

Luz thought that Amity would be freaked out by this, which made her even more anxious. But Amity did something really unexpected. She got down on the floor next to Luz's head. She softly started to stroke Luz's hair in a comforting manner. It felt really nice. Then, Amity whispered reassuringly to her.

"Shhh. it's okay, Luz. I'm here."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Amity sat with Luz for a good twenty minutes, just waiting for her to calm down. Luz's hair was really soft, where it wasn't matted with dried blood. The thought made Amity's face heat up, but it seemed to relax her. Amity withdrew her hand once Luz was calm enough. She then helped Luz sit up and get back on her bed. Amity sat down at the foot of Luz's bed, and the two sat in awkward silence. It was Amity who eventually broke it.

"You're an amazing musician." Luz looked at Amity in surprise, a dark blush appearing on her face. Amity noticed the blush, and smiled a little, her own face turning red. Amity continued to speak.

"You don't have to feel scared. No matter who is hurting you, I'll be there for you." The brunette's eyes filled with tears at that statement. Amity leaned over and wrapped her arms delicately around Luz's thin and battered frame. Luz sucked in a breath, but then hugged her back. She then whispered into Amity's ear in Spanish, shocking her. But what shocked her even more was that she understood it, even if it took her a moment to translate.

"Eres una luz en el mundo, Amity Blight." You are a light in the world, Amity Blight. Amity blushed deeply, and held Luz tighter. When she let go, she had a small smile on her face. But on an act of impulse, she leaned forward again and softly kissed Luz on her cheek that wasn't wounded. She felt Luz's body tense, and quickly pulled back.

"Oh no, Luz. I'm sorry. I didn't realize..." She took in Luz's expression. She had placed a hand over where Amity had kissed her. A goofy smile had spread across her face, and her eyes were full of light. It was the first real smile Amity had seen from her. Amity couldn't help but giggle a little. It was so cute and innocent, the pure joy and mirth that radiated off of Luz in that moment.

"What? What is it?" Amity said, grinning. Luz blushed again, and reached up to scratch the back of her neck, but winced. And Amity realized how bad her injuries were this time. Luz seemed to notice Amity's soured expression, and sighed. Her smile vanished, and her eyes dulled again. Amity didn't want her joy to disappear, so she placed a hand on Luz's cheek and spoke.

"Come on, it'll be okay. We'll go to my house and fix you up, then to the band's practice at Boscha's house." Luz's eyes flickered a little. Well, it was better than nothing. She pointed to her fallen guitar, silently asking Amity to pick it up. Amity smiled and grabbed her guitar off the floor. Luz took it, then looked into Amity's eyes.

"One more song." Luz said quietly, and Amity nodded. Luz strummed, and started to play a song very familiar to Amity, and probably to the whole world.

Well, you done done me and you bet I felt it
I tried to be chill, but you're so hot that I melted
I fell right through the cracks
Now I'm trying to get back

Before the cool done run out
I'll be giving it my bestest
And nothing's gonna stop me but divine intervention
I reckon it's again my turn
To win some or learn some

But I won't hesitate no more, no more
It cannot wait, I'm yours

Hmm (hey, hey)

Well, open up your mind and see like me
Open up your plans and, damn, you're free
And look into your heart, and you'll find love, love, love, love

Listen to the music of the moment, people dance and sing
We're just one big family
And it's our God-forsaken right to be loved, loved, loved, loved, loved

So I won't hesitate no more, no more
It cannot wait, I'm sure
There's no need to complicate
Our time is short
This is our fate, I'm yours

Luz moved a little closer to Amity when she sang that line, making Amity grin. Luz's voice was so perfect and soothing, and it was like all her insecurities disappeared when she was playing and singing.

Do, do, do, do you, but do you, do you, do, do, but do you want to come on?
Scooch on over closer, dear
And I will nibble your ear

A-soo-da-ba-ba-ba-ba-bum

Whoa-oh-oh
Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh-whoa-whoa-whoa

Uh-huh, mmm-hmm

It was like a spell had been cast over Amity, sucking her into Luz's voice, hanging on her every word.

I've been spending way too long checking my tongue in the mirror
And bending over backwards just to try to see it clearer
But my breath fogged up the glass
And so I drew a new face and I laughed

I guess what I've been saying is there ain't no better reason
To rid yourself of vanities and just go with the seasons
It's what we aim to do
Our name is our virtue

But I won't hesitate no more, no more
It cannot wait, I'm yours
Well, open up your mind and see like me
Open up your plans and, damn, you're free
And look into your heart, and you'll find that the sky is yours

So please don't, please don't, please don't
There's no need to complicate
'Cause our time is short
This, oh this, this is our fate, I'm yours

Oh, I'm yours

Oh, I'm yours

Oh, whoa, baby, do you believe I'm yours?
You best believe, you best believe I'm yours, mmm-hmm

Luz strummed the last chord, and she smiled. She put her guitar down, and Amity softly applauded. As she helped Luz out of the building that day, she couldn't tear her gaze away from the quiet girl who was always surprising her.