Great Balls of Fire

Chapter 16

The next morning, Luz woke up feeling almost cheery. She got up and made her way over to the bathroom. Looking in the mirror, she took in her appearance. Scars littered her body, especially her arms, legs, and torso. There was one just below her right eye. Luz sighed at the sight, but hopped in the shower and got ready for the day. As she walked to the bus stop, she felt her phone buzz. It was a text from her mom.

Mama: Hola, Luz. Today is Papa's birthday, make sure you go to visit him and give him your love.

Luz sighed, her good mood dissipating. It was December fifth, what would've been her father's  fiftieth birthday.

Luz: Vale, iré luego. Te quiero.

The bus arrived, and Luz boarded. She sat down and stared out the window, just looking out the window. But before the bus moved, Luz felt someone sit down next to her. Then, a familiar and confident voice spoke

"Hey there, Little Hendrix." Luz quickly turned and gasped. A tall boy sat next to her. He had short blonde hair and red eyes. His front tooth was chipped, but he was smiling at her. Luz grinned and threw her arms around the boy. He hugged her back.

"Hunter! I missed you." Luz whispered. Hunter Noceda was her older cousin, and the son of her aunt Natalia. The two of them had spent their early childhood seeing each other every other weekend, until Luz's father and her aunt Natalia fell out of touch when Hunter was twelve, and Luz was ten. But every year he'd surprise her on her father's birthday and appear in some random way, it was a sort joke between them.

"Come on, I'll drive you to school." Hunter said. Luz nodded eagerly. Anything to get off of this awful bus. They left the bus and got into Hunter's car. When they got inside, Hunter pulled out a cassette and popped it into his cassette player. Luz grinned excitedly.

"Alright, LH." He said. "This year's songs will really knock your socks off." They had a tradition where Hunter would make her a new cassette tape every year to cheer her up on her father's birthday. It always helped, and it gave Luz something to look forward to. He hit the play button and music started playing. He pulled out onto the street.

You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain
Too much love drives a man insane
You broke my will, but what a thrill
Goodness gracious, great balls of fire

"So," he said, his eyes locked on the road. "How're things going at Hexside? Are your grades good? People nice?" Luz fiddled with her sleeves, her face heating up.

I laughed at love 'cause I thought it was funny
You came along and you moved me honey
I've changed my mind, this love is fine
Goodness gracious, great balls of fire

"Well, I've actually made a few friends." Hunter glanced at her in surprise. Then he took in Luz's flushed face. He raised an eyebrow.

Kiss me, baby, ooh, feels good
Hold me, baby
Well, I'll still love you like a lover should
You're fine, so kind
Got to tell this world that you're mine, mine, mine, mine

"Oh? So who's the lucky person?" He asked. Hunter had always had a feeling that Luz swung at least both ways when it came to romantic attraction. Even if she had never shown interest in anyone before. In fact, he had a specific preference for men himself.

I chew my nails and then I twiddle my thumbs
I'm real nervous, but it sure is fun
Come on, baby, you drive me crazy
Goodness gracious, great balls of fire

"Her name is Amity. And...she's amazing." Hunter wiggled his eyebrows and grinned at his younger cousin, who didn't give him anymore information. He shrugged.

"Well, I would love to meet her at some point. By the way, I'm taking you to see your dad after you get out of school today."

Well kiss me, baby, ooh, feels good
Hold me, baby
Well, I'll still love you like a lover should
You're fine, so kind
Got to tell this world that you're mine, mine, mine, mine

"Are you sure?" Luz said, not making eye contact. "You don't have to, I can walk." Hunter looked at her, a blank expression on his face.

"And risk my little cousin getting hypothermia?" He placed a hand under his chin and pretended to think about it. "Yeah, I'll give that one a hard pass. I don't need your stubbornness killing you before you turn eighteen." Luz snorted. Hunter knew her too well, despite the fact that they didn't see each other often with Hunter always off at college.

I chew my nails and I twiddle my thumbs
Real nervous, but it sure is fun
Come on, baby, drive me crazy
Goodness gracious, great balls of fire

The song ended, and the two of them sat in comfortable silence. At least until Hunter broke it again.

"Does Amity know about your...struggles?" Luz nodded, and Hunter sighed in relief. "That's good, we don't want her to think that you're always silent. You could talk someone's ear off if you wanted to." He laughed, and Luz rolled her eyes playfully.

"She knows about everything, and she likes me anyways. But I also have some other friends I made." Hunter motioned for her to continue. "There's also Willow, Gus and Boscha. They're all in a band!" Hunter smiled softly.

"They sound like really cool people, LH. Just make sure to stay calm and try to talk to them when you feel anxious." Luz nodded. Hunter reached over and ruffled Luz's hair. She laughed and pushed his hand away.

"What about you, Doofus? Have you met anyone lately?" Hunter chuckled.

"Nah, not recently. I guess I'm just not really looking. Hey! I actually have some news for you. I'm moving back into my mom's place and transferring to Bonesborough University. I finally got into their business program!" Luz gasped, and a broad grin overtook her face.

"That's awesome! I guess we'll be spending more time together then." Hunter nodded, and they pulled into the Hexside High parking lot.

"Alright, Little Hendrix. Have a good day at school." Luz smiled as they both got out of the car hugged and Luz headed into the school. Hunter stood there, hands in his hips and smiled, watching his little cousin leave. As he went to get back into his car, he heard a sharp intake of breath.

"Hunter?!"

"Edric?!"