Lesson 29: Not All Deliveries Are Good

"I'm home!" I called out, opening my front door and stepping inside, exhausted from shopping with Selena.

Thankfully, we were successful. While Selena spent all her money buying different kinds of dresses, I still had some left, only buying one dress.

It was a light blue chiffon sweetheart neckline dress. The top part had white beads all over it and the bottom part was plain blue silk.

I was in love with it, and Selena made me tell her she was the prettiest, smartest, bestest girl in the world for picking out the dress for her.

I pointed out 'bestest' wasn't a word. She threatened to go back into the shop and return my dress unless I said she was.

You can guess what happened.

"Ooh!" I heard my mum say, seeing her walking towards me with Chloe and Hugo in tow.

"Amber!" Chloe screeched and I laughed, crouching down to pick her up and spin her around.

"So, how was shopping?? Let me see what you bought!" My mum said, eyeing my shopping bag like a kid looked at candy.

"Wait!" I exclaimed when she snatched the bag and started looking inside.

"I don't want Hugo ripping it apart." I whispered, looking at Hugo then back and mum.

"Okay. That's nice." My mum said, and lifted the dress out of the bag.

Everything seemed to be in slow motion from there. Chloe watching us all with wide eyes as she sucked her thumb, mum smiling widely at the dress, turning it around to get a good view, Hugo jumping up at the dress and me shouting, 'NOOO!' then lunging at Hugo.

I did something that would be called animal abuse.

I jumped on my dog.

"Get that dress out of here!" I shouted at my mum, and she looked at me with a horrified expression.

"Amber! Hu-"

"Mum!" I screamed, and she quickly scurried away, looking back at us with that same expression on her face.

I quickly climbed of Hugo, hugging him, trying to make him feel better.

"I'm so sorry, boy!" I exclaimed. "It's just, if you'd ripped that dress apart, I would have killed you, so technically, I saved you from dying by jumping on you." I explained calmly, patted Hugo on his head and walked into the living room where my mum was waiting.

"So, who picked out this amazing dress for you?" My mum asked, still looking at the dress with dreamy eyes.

I slowly took the dress away from her.

"Selena of course!" I said, and she nodded knowingly.

DING. DING.

I checked my phone, seeing I had a new text message.

Joe: Are you ready?

I looked at the time, remembering I had to meet him.

Me: Yeah, sure. Should I come over?

Joe: If you want to now, so we can get started straight away.

"You do realize what that conversation sounds like, right?"

I immediately blushed, glaring at my mum who was laughing.

"Mum! That's gross!"

"But it's true!! Look, I was a teenager as well. I know about these kind of things!"