Lesson 31: Boys Can Help Discover New Things

I stepped out of the room, looking around to see only Joe and Derek staring at me. I smiled nervously and waved.

"Hey guys." I said awkwardly. "Nice weather we're having, am I right?"

They just carried on staring.

The funny thing was, they had completely different expressions. Joe had this excited/surprised look on his face while Derek had this confused/angry look on his face.

"Did I hear Selena say you like Joe?"

"Did I hear Selena say you like me?"

They both glared at each other after realizing they said it simultaneously. I laughed a bit, but stopped when they looked again.

"Alright, I guess I have to explain now . . ." I sighed, trailing off and looking into Selena's room to see she had-

Wait, was she eating popcorn?

I rolled my eyes, laughing a bit and turned back to the boys.

"So, what you heard was true, I guess," I started, and Joe jumped up from his seat, so did Derek.

"What?!" Derek exclaimed with a pained look on his face, and I shook my head quickly.

"Yes, I like Joe but you as well! I guess I just need some time to choose..." I explained, and the boys nodded with smug smiles on their faces.

"That should be easy." They said at the same time, and glared at each other.

I heard faint laughing, and looked back into Selena's room to see her slurping on a soda, while stuffing handfuls on popcorn into her mouth.

She slowly gave me thumbs up while chewing.

"So like . . . Yeah." I said awkwardly, fiddling with my hair.

"Okay Amber, whatever is okay for you. But we're still on for Homecoming, right?" Joe confirmed, and I looked away uncomfortably.

"Haha, yeah. About that... I can't go with you Joe." I whispered, looking down.

"Oh no she didn't!" I heard Selena laugh from inside.

Don't laugh Amber. Do not laugh.

"Why?" I looked up in surprise, hearing Joe's broken voice. He looked genuinely upset, while Derek looked a bit relieved.

"Well, I need time to think, away from both of you, so that means you can't really be my date." I explained, and Joe nodded, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"Alright. I need to go now." He muttered coldly, and walked away.

"Joe . . ."

"You actually like that jerk?"

I turned to look at Derek with an unamused look on my face, ignoring Selena's barks of laughter from the other room.

"Yes, I do like him." I said slowly. Derek frowned.

"Have you done anything with him?"

"What?! No!" I exclaimed, hurt that he thought I'd cheat on him.

"Okay. Don't." He simply said, then walked into Selena's room, leaving me standing there shocked.

"Everything okay, Amber?" I heard my mum's voice ask, and I turned around to see her holding onto Chloe with Mr and Mrs Paige behind her.